Auto-Sexing vs. Sex Linking

Prince and Pavo

Songster
Apr 4, 2023
Hello!

I am a little but confused about something… I don’t understand the difference between auto-sexing and sex-linking, since both would show you exactly which chicks are males or females as soon as they hatch. Is the difference simply that sex-links are hybrids and auto-sexing chicks are a specific breed? Thanks for any knowledge you guys have!

Hello!

I am a little but confused about something… I don’t understand the difference between auto-sexing and sex-linking, since both would show you exactly which chicks are males or females as soon as they hatch. Is the difference simply that sex-links are hybrids and auto-sexing chicks are a specific breed? Thanks for any knowledge you guys have!
Sexlinking can't be passed down. Auto-sexing can be passed down for generations so long as it is continually bred for

Hello!

There are ppl a lot more knowledgeable than I am about this topic, but this is what I know.
Sex link chicks are different colors. Males one color females different color. Easy to tell which is which.
I don’t know what auto sexing is.

Auto sexing works generation after generation while sex links only work for the first generation.
Sexlinking can't be passed down. Auto-sexing can be passed down for generations so long as it is continually bred for
Interesting! So does that mean I was correct about sex-links being hybrids and auto-sexing birds are always purebreds?

Interesting! So does that mean I was correct about sex-links being hybrids and auto-sexing birds are always purebreds?
Sexlinks are crosses between two different colors and autosexing is breeding the same color.
So sexlinks are almost always hybrids. But not always.

Okay thanks for the info! Can you give me an example of a purebred sex-link? How would it be purebred if the characteristic only lasts one generation?

I've done purebred sex-linked Sussex and if I crossed my Barnevelders correctly I can hatch sex-linked.

Buff sussex rooster over Light sussex hens.
Gold laced Barnevelder rooster over Silver laced hens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom