Auto-Sexing vs. Sex Linking

The Yokohama looks like a red Pyle bird and has patterned chicks. So what’s the difference between the Yokohama and the average red Pyle bird (other then the obvious mottling genes)

The Yokohama looks like a red Pyle bird and has patterned chicks. So what’s the difference between the Yokohama and the average red Pyle bird (other then the obvious mottling genes)
Yokohama is a red silver mille fluer color.
I don’t know why red pyle has yellow chicks but it does.
It is hypothesized that the white coloring is Yokohama is caused by two blue genes (splash) rather than dominant white as in red pyle so perhaps the dominant white in red pyle overwhelms the pattern in the chick down while the splash does not.
It is thought that otherwise the dilution that causes white in Yokohama is specific to that breed.

Really cool, so in theory if you breed a black chicken to a Yokohama you would get blue, black and splash? Or some combination of the those colors?
Adding the baring gene to a red pyle would only get expressed in the red feathering and I can see that it won't work. I had hoped that some lines of red pyle would have a chick pattern similar to the Yokohamas. Yokohama chicks look like wild type but lighter in color.

Really cool, so in theory if you breed a black chicken to a Yokohama you would get blue, black and splash? Or some combination of the those colors?
Adding the baring gene to a red pyle would only get expressed in the red feathering and I can see that it won't work. I had hoped that some lines of red pyle would have a chick pattern similar to the Yokohamas. Yokohama chicks look like wild type but lighter in color.
You would just get blue. Plus red silver leakage. In theory.

Back
Top Bottom