1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

AUTOMATED FEEDER

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by zuluchicken, Mar 7, 2015.

1. zuluchicken

zuluchicken Out Of The Brooder

I made this automated feeder using a 5 Lt water bottle, 35 cm rain gutter with stop ends mounted onto a piece wood and a 600 mm x 40 mm pvc drain pipe. It holds enough pellet food for 13 chickens for 5-6 days.

[​IMG]

In order to minimize wastage I control the flow of the food by widening or reducing the gap between the bottom of the drain pipe and the "floor" of the gutter. I achieve this control by inserting or removing a spacer underneath the gutter. This feeder works well for any dry food, meal, crumbs and pellets.

The flow rate must be set so that the food does not spill into the gutter. The chickens must eat the food from the opening of the drain pipe.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  2. mcbrown7513

mcbrown7513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2015
    Southern Mississippi
    Another invention that will come in handy as I get more girls. Thank you for sharing.

3. Ronster

Ronster Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2015
    cool; really simple.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by