New to the forum - Feeder, Flies and Fighting

Kelster65

Chirping
Jul 4, 2022
Rockfield, KY
Hi All,
I'm new to this group and have a couple of questions regarding feeding and flies. I have 6 beautiful Rouen Ducks and 6 Bodacious Rhode Island Red chickens sharing the same coop and run. I've spent a lot of time researching and designing my coop and run, hoping that the experiences of others can save me from making too many mistakes of my own. For consideration, my coop is a 10x14 converted shed and run is 20x30. I have sand over concrete flooring in the coop and love it so far. I do not feed/water or store food in the coop, have a fan system and there are no flies inside the coop. The run is a different matter and I have questions. I have dirt/grass/herbs and weeds in the run and had a little straw covering clover seeds for 2 weeks. To keep everyone happy, there are 2 feed/water stations set up with several types of watering stations in the run as well. The feed is in a 5-gallon bucket with PVC pipe "clean" type eating portals which are closed up at night to keep out rodents. My crew is allowed to free feed all day long as they desire. Next to the feed buckets, are 5-gallon semi auto waterers. The buckets sit on a washing machine pan filled with rocks that can be cleaned via a drain pipe. It is as dry as possible but does get wet. If the drain gets clogged, it can get soupy but cleaned daily. I love this set up although as "spill proof" as the feeder is supposed to be, the quackers and chicks still knock out some extra feed. Since the photos were taken, I've put a catch pan under the feed buckets as well. In my opinion I have horrible flies and believe the food area is the source of flies. It's been near 100 degrees and no rain (run is shaded most of the day and the ducks have a pool), so I'm sure the flies are coming in for water as well. To decrease the fly population, what is your opinion as far as free feeding vs. scheduled feeding, am I using the wrong type of feeder or rock/drainage system or is it simply hotter than crap? The run and coop don't smell to me, and poop is cleaned up daily, but I can see where the flies would enjoy the leftover fallen food. I'm using rescue fly traps and do keep it clean but maybe not clean enough. Thank you in advance for any input.

Attachments

• 20220623_182646.jpg
    20220623_182646.jpg
    774.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 20220624_110647.jpg
    20220624_110647.jpg
    379.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 20220624_111613.jpg
    20220624_111613.jpg
    673.6 KB · Views: 14
That is a nice feeder. Since the feed is dry, I suspect the flies are coming from the manure, which is wet when fresh. Set up a fly vacation spot by giving them a set up where they can get in but can't figure out how to get out. Just put something yummy in a 2 liter pop bottle, not much, it's just a lure. Lay bottle on the side. You'll soon find the bottle full of flies. Pour onto your compost. Or, just throw it out and use another bottle.

That is a nice feeder. Since the feed is dry, I suspect the flies are coming from the manure, which is wet when fresh. Set up a fly vacation spot by giving them a set up where they can get in but can't figure out how to get out. Just put something yummy in a 2 liter pop bottle, not much, it's just a lure. Lay bottle on the side. You'll soon find the bottle full of flies. Pour onto your compost. Or, just throw it out and use another bottle.
following and interested. Yummy, like what?

Rather then laying the bottle down cut the top off about 2 inches from the top, invert it into the bottle seal round the join with tape or glue then hang it, it's amazing how many flies you get in them. I would let a bit of mince go off add that to the bottle then add water about 3 to 4 inches the smell will attract the flies they will get in the bottle but not be able to fly out again and will drown

Looks like you put a lot of thought into your watering station and feeder. Nice!

From having horses I know there's little flies like better than damp hay or straw. We like to give our chooks some hay to play in for fun, but because of this exact issue we don't do it in wet months. Try raking up as much loose straw as you can, hopefully that will also help the soil underneath dry out faster.

Hi All,
I'm new to this group and have a couple of questions regarding feeding and flies. I have 6 beautiful Rouen Ducks and 6 Bodacious Rhode Island Red chickens sharing the same coop and run. I've spent a lot of time researching and designing my coop and run, hoping that the experiences of others can save me from making too many mistakes of my own. For consideration, my coop is a 10x14 converted shed and run is 20x30. I have sand over concrete flooring in the coop and love it so far. I do not feed/water or store food in the coop, have a fan system and there are no flies inside the coop. The run is a different matter and I have questions. I have dirt/grass/herbs and weeds in the run and had a little straw covering clover seeds for 2 weeks. To keep everyone happy, there are 2 feed/water stations set up with several types of watering stations in the run as well. The feed is in a 5-gallon bucket with PVC pipe "clean" type eating portals which are closed up at night to keep out rodents. My crew is allowed to free feed all day long as they desire. Next to the feed buckets, are 5-gallon semi auto waterers. The buckets sit on a washing machine pan filled with rocks that can be cleaned via a drain pipe. It is as dry as possible but does get wet. If the drain gets clogged, it can get soupy but cleaned daily. I love this set up although as "spill proof" as the feeder is supposed to be, the quackers and chicks still knock out some extra feed. Since the photos were taken, I've put a catch pan under the feed buckets as well. In my opinion I have horrible flies and believe the food area is the source of flies. It's been near 100 degrees and no rain (run is shaded most of the day and the ducks have a pool), so I'm sure the flies are coming in for water as well. To decrease the fly population, what is your opinion as far as free feeding vs. scheduled feeding, am I using the wrong type of feeder or rock/drainage system or is it simply hotter than crap? The run and coop don't smell to me, and poop is cleaned up daily, but I can see where the flies would enjoy the leftover fallen food. I'm using rescue fly traps and do keep it clean but maybe not clean enough. Thank you in advance for any input.
I only get flies when the run material is off. Meaning; there is an imbalance of dry/green material. i was adding fresh mowed grass to the run. My intentions were good but I quickly noticed flies. All that green brought moisture, and with that, the flies. As soon as I got it all out, the flies went away. Wet chicken poop is great for attracting flies as well. Food waste in the run is a nono for me too. A dry environment in the run has few flies. IMO. Also, i use a regular box fan leaned up againest the run. The hens lay in front of it for the breeze and the fan worked out 2 fold because flies wont hang out in front of a blowing fan. To recap, when the flies came, I raked run well and removed all things that have moisture. i cleaned all the poop i could and the flies left. I continue this practice and have never had an issue. I instantly knew when i seen the flies after all that grass was added. I since have let the lawn clippings dry out first. Free run material and no flies!

I only get flies when the run material is off. Meaning; there is an imbalance of dry/green material. i was adding fresh mowed grass to the run. My intentions were good but I quickly noticed flies. All that green brought moisture, and with that, the flies. As soon as I got it all out, the flies went away. Wet chicken poop is great for attracting flies as well. Food waste in the run is a nono for me too. A dry environment in the run has few flies. IMO. Also, i use a regular box fan leaned up againest the run. The hens lay in front of it for the breeze and the fan worked out 2 fold because flies wont hang out in front of a blowing fan. To recap, when the flies came, I raked run well and removed all things that have moisture. i cleaned all the poop i could and the flies left. I continue this practice and have never had an issue. I instantly knew when i seen the flies after all that grass was added. I since have let the lawn clippings dry out first. Free run material and no flies!
i was about to get those hanging sticky fly traps for the run ceiling if my clean up didnt work, but it did. try that fan in the run! Put that bad boy on high!

Back
Top Bottom