Automatic Chicken Coop Door - Auto Closes Coop - Beta Version 1.0

windowschematic.jpg

Ya ether pull your finger off the button or it keeps trying to go further.

What I cant figure out is how auto down switch in my Honda knows the window is all the way down. When the button pops back up Is it a time limit thing or does it detect a change in amperage or something? What ever its suppose to do, it hangs up.

Newer cars monitor the current the motor uses. When the computer sees a spike, it means the motor hit the end of travel, or it's jammed or something. Since the current monitoring shunt is often built into the transistor than switches the motor, it's much cheaper than a limit switch.

Since the motor I was trying to use isn't really suitable (it's the drive motor from a radio control race car and wants to run flat out all the time), I'm modifying a radio control servo motor. They are small, cheap and powerful and are already geared down. All you have to do is open them up and remove the stops that keeps the shaft from spinning all the way (it's normally limited to about 120 degrees of movement)

Quote:

well, I made it to axman surplus today and got 2 each of NC and NO micro switches, 'cause I have not figured out which one will be better yet.
I also am not for sure on relays and stuff- maybe someone here can help me w/ that part. I want it to be 100% 12V, so I can use my solar panel and a battery.

I plan on using a programmable thermostat as a timer. I noted an earlier post that someone said they thought a relay being closed all day would draw more juice, but timers use electricity, too- anyone know how much current one of them cheeepy dial timers use?

I was thinking of using the entire window regulator assy, the one caveat that I have thought of so far (there will be more, i dont have all the parts in hand yet) is the arm which moves the window up and down has a bearing on the end which rides in a track, because the arm travels in an arc.
so something like that will have to be incorporated into the design. attaching the window's track across the top of the door should be easy.

so I am gonna go to the JY and get me a regulator and the window track. maybe this weekend.

Oh dear! First my DD joins this rowdy bunch, now I'm going to have to make sure DH doesn't look over my shoulder at this thread! Great ideas and execution from you great geeks! To think I'd find wiring diagrams on a chicken forum.....
bow.gif

so I was re-reading the thread and I have a thought about using 120V drill as a power source for the door, as I have several of them. reversing them would be easy. using allthread as a screw drive to open and close a guillotine door.

but what about relays, etc for household current? I think 12v would be nice, I could use solar, etc, but in my circumstance, 120V is just as easy. but 12v is safer- no fried chickens....

any thoughts on this?

off to the junkyard....

I just wanted to say that my $11 (new) motor seems to be working great, very reliable for the task required. It works on 12v.
There are lots listed on e-bay. I have bought two now. The first was a slow 5 rpm, and I have one on the way that is 60 rpm for another design. That $11 price included shipping, you just have to shop around. The motors come from China.

Quote:
I haven't taken a AC drill apart but would have assumed it converted it to DC by the time it got to the motor. If the motor is AC I would assume it would have 1 common wire an 2 hot wires one for each direction. If that's the case then switching power from one to the other would be simple. As for relays, you can get AC relays for air conditioners an water heaters. You can also use DC relays. The coil is made for 12v but it can switch AC without any problems. I have 12v running threw a Mercury bubble thermostat an a car relay switching a house plug on an off with a hair dryer plugged in to it in my big Incubator an its holding up great. I still think a battery charger sized solar cell could be used to switch the relay. You may also be able to run AC threw the coil of a DC relay. I would try but my house still uses fuses. You may need to step the amps down by putting a low amp light bulb in line with the relay. The bulb would work as a bottleneck an keep the amps low.

Please bare with me as I'm new at posting. I have followed this threat intently but have nowhere near the skills you guys all have. I was thinking about some of the motors out now that are being used in Christmas decorations. Like the lighted reindeer that lift their heads up and down?
After Christmas, when these things are discounted, I'm going to try and get one of the motors and a timer and see what I can come up with.

Oh yeah and I LOVE BYC - am completely addicted...

Back
Top Bottom