Automatic Chicken Coop Door - Auto Closes Coop - Beta Version 1.0

Hey Gang,

I'm new to this. In fact, I don't even have chickens yet. However, we are planning to start this spring. This website is a great resource!

Before I get chickens, I have to get some type of automatic door since there are many nights that I get home late or am out of town. I plan to build a chicken tractor, so my door will have to be powered off of a battery/solar panel. I'm not nearly as smart as some of you, so I don't know if I can build the designs previously described in this forum (unless I have detailed instructions).

I have another idea. Can chickens be taught to push through a swinging Plexiglas door that has a hinge at the top similar to a doggy door? If so, couldn't an electric door lock be placed at the bottom of the door so that it could lock the door in place at night with a pin that goes up through the bottom. I'm thinking that a deer feeder timer could be used, which is made to run off of a battery. The timer could unlock the door in the morning so that it swings free. The only problem is that the chickens would have to push through the door to get in and out, but this would solve the hassle of creating a door that opens and closes.

Thank you all for your help. Keep those good ideas coming.

Todd

Quote:
Sounds like a great concept, but obviously, your first question is the important one. And I have no experience.

Maybe we need to set up some kind of chicken combine. Obstacles and such to test just what these guys are/aren't capable of!
smile.png

I could not get my chickens to go through a plexi-glass type door (it is a doggie door). I tried everything, including holding grapes (their fave) on the other side and they just wouldn't do it.
I have since cut about two inches off the bottom and now they will use it but it's not really a door now.
At least it's something when I have to leave them overnight but still not as good as an automatic door would be.

Quote:
You know, thats not a bad idea. A space at the bottom might be enough for them to see there's hope in trying, but not enough for most predators to get in if a locking mechanism was in place.

Another option not discussed yet is to use a watering system. You could use 2 watering timers, like for gardens hooked to a nearby faucet. The timer turns on at dusk by timer, opens the ball valve, a small line hose fills a bucket or cylinder with water, weighing down the container which via cable and pulley, pulls up the door. Then a timer opens another ball valve attached to the cylinder or small bucket to drain the bucket, thereby closing the door at a selected time. Batteries and water. No other complication. And 2 directions!.

How about that?

Too many knocks to the noggin..My brain goes off on tangents sometimes
wink.png

These are just triggering mechanisms..Still doesnt move the door.
And it would be a lot easier to use a timer..
I'm just putting them in cause they make me laugh/smile
wink.png

For morning, Dont use lights inside, but do allow natural light in..
Have a red button on the door..They would peck it because they are awake and can see..
It would need to be easily triggered..But with technology the way it is these days..There might be something out there..

The second idea is more towards the days of castles and dragons
wink.png

Not sure if I could do it, but the knowledge how to is probably still out there.

And you would have to have all of your flock roosting to make it work..lol!

Have their roosting pole set up on a system where there weight would make it change position..
That could either set off something electronic, or even a pulley/weight system that might slide the door into place..
Perhaps the door could move along a runner type thing like a pocket door in a house, then it could a trigger a spring type lock that would swing a pin into place to lock the door..

Hehehe, Ok, back to my housework
wink.png

Quote:
Well, one common aspect of our designs was to do it inexpensively. I bought a water timer last spring and they all range around $30. So, employing two of those, you can see it starts to get a little expensive.

Quote:
Well, one common aspect of our designs was to do it inexpensively. I bought a water timer last spring and they all range around $30. So, employing two of those, you can see it starts to get a little expensive.

or frozen
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom