Automatic Chicken Coop Doors

I have an Ador, it works great. Battery powered with a 6 volt lantern battery, and has a photocell to open & close it at dawn & dusk. You can program it to open or close a little later, also. It also has a “Last Call” feature you can program, that opens the door about 10-15 minutes after it closes for the night, to let in anyone that missed it, and then closes again after a little while.

One of my favorite features is that it is sprocket driven, instead of using a line & pulley. The sprocket holds the door shut, so less chance of a predator lifting it at night.

I have the "Coop Auto Door" with the Sun Mode option. It can be found here. I bought it through Flemming Outdoors, and Premiere 1 also carries it.

I have really liked it so far. The biggest reason that I went with this one was due to the Sun Mode feature. You input your Lat/Long information, and the offset you want (say 10 minutes before/after sunrise, sunset, etc) and it auto adjusts the open/closing times across the year. You literally set it once and you're done. This was a must have feature for me. My coop setup is in a pretty shaded area on our property throughout most of the day - like 95% of the time, and a photo cell just wasn't going to work reliably.

They all have their pluses and minuses, I don't think one is superior to all others - I believe mine is the only option with the lat/long option for what I needed.

If I was a product designer making them for the market, I'd make one that had this feature set:
  • Sun Mode
  • Sprocket drive to keep door secure when closed
  • "Bump" safety mode in case it closes on a bird
  • Solar power option, battery backup and plug-in electrical
  • 2nd chance or Last Call option for tardy partying birds
  • Bluetooth or wifi door status - hey, we can dream - it'd be nice for those of us who can't see the door from the house to know if it was in the up/down state. I'm not saying all out crazy features, just some basic status stuff.
Anyway, there is probably other stuff that I'm missing, but I think the doors out there now meet a broad set of needs and you'll find one that will work for you. I just think combining some of the best features from a couple different doors and the market could have a top shelf offering. It wouldn't be the cheapest, though...

I built my own with and got it 99% installed today. Think I’ve gotten 75$ tied up in it. Already had a battery, relay, solar panel and the lumber.
Just need to tidy up the wiring install the door for the controls and tie in my solar panels in the next few days.

This is the actuator, it has built in limitswitches and moves really slow. If chicken gets caught in it, prolly should be removed from the gene pool anyway.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-Duty...195279?hash=item1a4d30d3cf:g:kkMAAMXQrhdTRv1X

I built my own with and got it 99% installed today. Think I’ve gotten 75$ tied up in it. Already had a battery, relay, solar panel and the lumber.

I'd love to see a photo/schematic when you're finished - this is exactly what I'm looking to build.

Put it on auto last night, this AM the wife called said there's birds running rampant in the yard
Will see if they start enough to get back through the door.

It's nothing fancy but works so far

Attachments

• IMG_3624.JPG
    IMG_3624.JPG
    740.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3626.JPG
    IMG_3626.JPG
    516.9 KB · Views: 26

Back
Top Bottom