sotelomary

Songster
10 Years
Mar 30, 2009
SF east bay, California
I,m thinking of getting an automatic chicken door and have several questions:

1. Are there any problems with them?

2. Are they easy to install?

3. Have they ever gotten stuck and not opened or closed?

4. Do you need a timer or do they come with a sensor?

5. Who do you recommend and about how much do they cost?

Feel free to give me other comments or suggestions!

Thanks
Mary

Although they are expensive, if you're in the market for one, they are the best thing since sliced bread.
big_smile.png

We just built our first coop and have not installed on, so I do go out every morning to let them out.

When we build our next coop (larger), we'll be getting an automatic door to make things easier.

Read up on them and see which one suits your fancy.

There are a LOT of posts on the forum with very good info and some cheaper DIY'er auto doors.

You do want to install it so that the shavings will not get caught in the door preventing it from closing all the way.

Some come battery operated, solar operated, and regular electric.

They all have timers or you can build one yourself and pick up a timer from Walmart.

Good luck!

smile.png

I love love my automatic chicken door opener, mine is from automaticchickencoopdoor.com. easy to install and works great. It does come with a timer. I have never had any trouble with it, except when electricity is out (rare here) so I do have a back up door to use. Will try to take pic and post. My DH had to install after our coop was built, would of been easier if installed when building, but he did it.
Ayda

The door openers from Britain are battery powered. They are running about $250. Mine opens on a timer and closes via light sensor.

Have had zero issues at this point and it opens/closes so slowly that it's tough to picture a bird getting caught by it.

Last edited:
Most of our customers now request an automatic door opener. We have been using them for 5 years and are generally very reliable. I think they are invaluable for the new age chicken keeper who have a lot of other commitments going on. All of our own Chicken Coops have them fitted as I particulary don't like getting out of bed at 4:30 a.m in the summer months and will often be away in the morning with customers in the Winter months before our chickens decide to stretch their legs. Here is what we use, obviously would be way too expensive to ship your side of the water and you may also need the running gear and doors to use them http://www.woodenart.org.uk/categories.php?category=VSB-Automatic-Pop-Hole-Door-Openers

Mark

Thank you for this post. I am planning on having automatic doors as well for my chicken coop. Good thing I will be able to check your post.

Back
Top Bottom