Automatic coop door: how do chickens know when to return to the coop?

If the door is using a light sensor, it'll close when the light drops below a certain level. Waning light is also the trigger for chickens to "head to bed" which, if they're properly homed to the coop, they'll do so automatically around sunset.

if the door is using a timer, then you need to set the time to close. I usually give myself about a half hour buffer when setting my door, i.e. if sunset is currently at 7:30, I'll set the door for 8:00, and then as sunset creeps closer to 8:00, I'll set it to 8:30.

If the door is using a light sensor, it'll close when the light drops below a certain level. Waning light is also the trigger for chickens to "head to bed" which, if they're properly homed to the coop, they'll do so automatically around sunset.

if the door is using a timer, then you need to set the time to close. I usually give myself about a half hour buffer when setting my door, i.e. if sunset is currently at 7:30, I'll set the door for 8:00, and then as sunset creeps closer to 8:00, I'll set it to 8:30.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom