Automatic coop doors: I'd love your input

I have to heartily second the Pullet Shut doors recommendation. I have 2 solar operated doors and they were introduced to me by a reputable coop builder. Mine are 4 years old, operating perfectly. So impressive that another coop builder bought his own after installing mine. The support is amazing. Expensive up front, have never regretted the purchase.

I have this one from Temu for my coop. Its solar powered, remote operated and there's a button control on the front. You can program it to open and close at a specific time or at sun rise and sunset or a mix of timed and sun (rise or set). I have only had it a couple months. It seems to work well. Its not supposed to decapitate the chickens.

chicken coop.jpg

I'm having a new coop built for my ladies and was thinking of an automatic door. But, I'm seeing mixed reviews from doors made of plastic, to doors made with metal; doors that close on items they hit, to the point of a review that one decapitated a bird; doors with nice sensitive stops that won't crack an egg. All of this is leaving my head spinning. I live in CT near a large plot of wetlands; predators abound outside of my fenced yard. These include a pack of coyotes, fox, bob cats and coy wolves. I haven't seen any inside my fenced yard. I want a nice strong door for protection but I don't want one with a closure so strong it can seriously hurt my ladies. I'm new to BYC, new to chicken land and I'd really value any and all input. Thanks in advance.
I just bought an automatic door for my coop through BIDFTA (Paid $35 instead of $140 so that was a score). I bought it because the lady I get my milk from says she has her chickens on a schedule and they know absolutely when to come in and when to exit. And that it made it nice and she never had to remember to close the door. I have an enclosed coop area, but this is why I got mine. She never had any issues. Not to say it "won't" happen, but that's my two cents anyway.

I’ve been using this for about 2 months and I like it. It slides open if it detects a blockage and it doesn’t hurt, I tested with my hand. The only problem I’ve had is that it’s so sensitive that it reopens at closing time if it detects a few pine shavings, so I’ve been trying to figure that out. It’s solar powered. Can be set for light/dark or on specific times and has a remote.
GROPOW Automatic Chicken Coop... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CR1BRT7K?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I'm having a new coop built for my ladies and was thinking of an automatic door. But, I'm seeing mixed reviews from doors made of plastic, to doors made with metal; doors that close on items they hit, to the point of a review that one decapitated a bird; doors with nice sensitive stops that won't crack an egg. All of this is leaving my head spinning. I live in CT near a large plot of wetlands; predators abound outside of my fenced yard. These include a pack of coyotes, fox, bob cats and coy wolves. I haven't seen any inside my fenced yard. I want a nice strong door for protection but I don't want one with a closure so strong it can seriously hurt my ladies. I'm new to BYC, new to chicken land and I'd really value any and all input. Thanks in advance.
All of our coops have automatic doors made of metal on them and i would not have it any other way. They use a screw jack so that there is no decapitation of a chicken when a door falls by accident. I can operate them from Alexa, from my phone, or from an electronic button that comes with it. In case an errant chicken gets in the way of the door coming down it has an electronic sensor that will automatically stop the door from closing. We prefer to use the doors manually at night to make sure all the girls are inside their coop, but they automatically open in the morning at sunrise so I can still sleep in if I wish. We bought them from Amazon and while they were not the cheapest (they replaced a door that decapitated one of our girls) they have been in operation for years and never break. The company that makes them has fantastic customer service. We needed a small part that I lost and it was here in 3 days at no charge. Highly recommended. It is made by JVR

For the money, I think it's hard to beat what Run Chicken offers. I'd likely get the newer solar version though even though no issues with the battery version after several years use. They only flaw I've seen on them is the manual push button under the lip that a raccoon could technically operate - but I've seen people putting guards on that part lately, perhaps the company might change the switch type to accommodate.

I have predators in my area too, we hardly ever see them - but it doesn't mean they don't see your flock while patiently waiting for an opportunity for a tasty meal. Because of that, my auto door only lets ours into a 2nd larger secure run. We used to free-range daily and now I'd never use an auto door for daily free-ranging; that only happens under supervision now.

Lately our main predator has been a bobcat. We've definitely lost a few chickens to them in the past and even have seen them while we're out in the yard too. Pretty sure it's been a bobcat that's killed two of our outdoor cats in the last 6 months. Just last Saturday morning at 6am the chickens woke me up making a ruckus - I go out to the orchard in my chones and don't see anything near the coop...then I see a flicker of a tail moving on the other side of a tree -- it was stalking our remaining cat, who luckily shot off in the other direction when it pounced, then they both saw me and the bobcat took off. On Sunday I scared a female turkey out of our yard, it flew onto the neighbors property and immediately had a coyote chasing after it. Yesterday morning at 6am I hear the chickens going off again...then 30s later I hear a gunshot - my neighbor shot that coyote about 50yds off the property line. Now it's intimate friends with about 15 vultures

Good luck!
X2 on the Run Chicken door, I've had mine roughly 4yrs with zero complaints

I’ve had an automatic door for years and never had a problem. The door is plastic and goes down very slow. There is no way the a chicken could get caught. Mine locks also, which is important, raccoons could possibly lift the door. I couldn’t have chickens if I didn’t have it. I never have to worry about letting them out or in.
Thanks so much for your input. What brand do you have?

All of our coops have automatic doors made of metal on them and i would not have it any other way. They use a screw jack so that there is no decapitation of a chicken when a door falls by accident. I can operate them from Alexa, from my phone, or from an electronic button that comes with it. In case an errant chicken gets in the way of the door coming down it has an electronic sensor that will automatically stop the door from closing. We prefer to use the doors manually at night to make sure all the girls are inside their coop, but they automatically open in the morning at sunrise so I can still sleep in if I wish. We bought them from Amazon and while they were not the cheapest (they replaced a door that decapitated one of our girls) they have been in operation for years and never break. The company that makes them has fantastic customer service. We needed a small part that I lost and it was here in 3 days at no charge. Highly recommended. It is made by JVR
Awesome! Thank so mich for sharing.

I installed a Run-Chicken automatic door about a year ago and it works great! It is metal and is very secure. The only down side that I can point out is that I had to adjust the timer when the seasons change from fall to winter, and from winter to spring. The setting I use is dependent on light (sunrise and sunset). The door tends to close a bit early when the length of daylight changes. It's an easy fix though. You can change the setting to open and close at different intervals, after sunrise and/or sunset (20 minutes, 40 minutes, etc.) The door can also be set to open and close at specific times as well. This mode will need more adjustments, but it is an option. You can also set it in GPS mode, which they say will self adjust. I never used that setting because of privacy concerns, but that's just my mindset.
Hope this is helpful...Best to you and your ladies!

I’m a run chicken gal. We researched and checked and asked around and for the cost (130 but always on sale like now for 109.99) we got the battery one it has a timer you can set or it will open and close morning close at around sunset You can program time that works for you too. I’ve had it close the second night and one of my chickens laid right in doorway but when it sensed her it stopped now they wait in line in am to come out and they go up to roost about half hour before it closes when it is dark
No issues! we had it running in super cold temps and snow to ungodly heat last year and it’s been great. You can change and program from app on phone
We love ours … I’m actually ordering a new one right now for our new coop ( we have two) when I saw this! We recommended to our neighbor as well and they got one too said it was the best ever! It comes in solar or battery and maybe one more? But again we love ours!

Back
Top Bottom