automatic door opener

jennh

Songster
12 Years
Jun 21, 2007
Lititz
Hi ! I haven't posted for awhile, but I saw someone had talked about plans for an auto door opener. They said they had gotten them on Ebay.
I have done alot of searching the internet, and really can't find anything. Does anyone have any plans or suggestions? I don't need it to close, just to open in the morning at a preset time.

"In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations" From the Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

I call mine "DH"
tongue.png

Quote:
Gees! I was just looking at a poultry supply companies catalog the other day, and on the back cover they had an automatic door that you could set to open and close at certain times!

Let me see if I can find it for you and I'll let you know.

#2100 Doorkeeper (outside install) $179.95
#2101 Doorkeeper (inside install w/ sensor) $189.95
#2102 Timer $89.98
#2103 Sliding Door (9"w X 13"h) $28.95
#2104 Sliding Door (12"w X 15"h) $32.95
#2105 Sliding Door (13"w X 20"h) $44.95
#2106 Outside Light Sensor $22.95
#2107 Idler/Pulley for Doorkeeper $4.50

$594.18 !! holy cow! The price of your eggs just went through the roof.

Get a cheapo garage door opener, a custom made roll up or track door and adjust for travel..$150 +/-. Cover all parts with plywood. And you'd even have remote control
wink.png

Quote:
You don't need all of that. If you have you have your own sliding door just order #2101 OR #2102.

I purchased #2100 from Foy Pigeon and am very happy with the automatic door. Installing it was the easiest part of the chicken coop construction project ... and it has worked perfectly. I can't always be home to lock the chickens in at night, so the automatic door gives me peace of mind.

The chickens have gotten locked outside a couple of times. If a thunderstorm rolls thru in the early evening and it gets dark quickly, they have been left lined up on the ramp in front of the closed door. And if we are out working in the yard we seem to distract them so they forget to go in on time. It is easy to manually open the door so they can go in their hen house.

The sensor can be adjusted so the door opens and closes earlier or later. We didn't get the timer, because then we'd need to remember to adjust it as the days shorten and lengthen.

Total price was less than $200, and from people's experience in England (where it is manufactured), it should last for many years.

thumbsup.gif

Thanks so much for your suggestions ;o) The garage door opener might be an option. I have a few weeks to decide. I'll post what I have decided to do!
BTW, my "girls" know their names and come when I call them!

Jen
2 cats, 1 NHR, 1 Lt Brahma, 1 Barred Rock, 1 Australorp, 1 Buff Orp, 1 Golden and 1 Silver laced Wyandotte, 1 SSussex, 1 Dominique, 1 Black Cochin, 1 Welsummer, 1 Barnevelder, 1 28 year old son, and 1 husband (18 1/2 years my Junior!!!! )

In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.
From the Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

Back
Top Bottom