Automatic LOCKING pop door (added a light switch)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by KDK1, Jan 1, 2012.

1. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Still waiting on a timer to install in coop. I got the idea off the internet some time ago but couldn't find it again when I decided to build one. Did the best I could from memory... works great! iPhone pics and video... excuse the quality.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here it is in action.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  2. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    lol. right on. I'm impressed. You made that yourself? I've been thinking about making my own automatic door I just lack faith in my capabilities. Might be a sucker and just buy that one that you can order online for like $140 or whatever. But for real, great job.

3. KDK1

Quote:Yeah... the motor is an Add-a-motor, costs about $80.

4. colonel sander

colonel sander Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    I like the idea of a locking door for the coop great job!. Also the add a motor is a great product for the price compared to a complete unit. I have had one for about 6 months now with no issues.

5. KDK1

I added a switch for an idicator light to it today. The light will eventually go in the run somewhere or in the house. I hope the timer gets here soon before I get any more ideas.

6. riverpilot69

riverpilot69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    SE Missouri
    Good job. Saw one simular on youtube. Looks like it will serve you well.

7. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Well how 'bout that. I'm impressed. Love the locking system. What will you do to keep the wood tract from swelling? [​IMG]

8. KDK1

Quote:It will be painted before install... matter of fact I'll be priming today. There is also plenty of play and will be using parrifin for regular maintenance.

9. Green_Eggs_and_Ham

Green_Eggs_and_Ham Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Wow, I am impressed! That is awesome. [​IMG]

10. Rubyred5

Rubyred5 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2014
    This is what I would like. But no electricity in coop. Need a battery set up... Going to attempt the manual self locking for now and hopefully will figure out how to rig the add a motor to a battery and timer before winter [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by