Automatic turner stopped turning day 17

KristenFL

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 27, 2013
Florida
I have only done one hatch before(if you can call it that). Last year, after a coyote attack that killed all but one of my 10-chicken flock, my survivor chicken laid an egg. I ran out and bought an incubator and stuck it in there.... against all odds, it hatched. I have since acquired more chickens to keep survivor bird company. On the 10th of March I decided it was time to try hatching again - it really was fun the first time, even with only one (I mail-ordered day old chicks (4 of them) that arrived the day after she hatched so she wouldn't be alone). Anyway, I set 12 eggs on March 10th and candled them once on day 15... they are brown and hard to see through, but I think most of them are viable (I don't have any stinkers). Today is day 17 and my turner is making a grinding noise and it appears it is no longer turning. Am I safe to go ahead and take the turner out and lay the eggs flat for hatching? Or should I be hand turning them?

17 days is a perfect time for lockdown! Just raise the humidity, and in a few days, you should have some peeps!
Good luck!
And Welcome to BYC!
welcome-byc.gif

Thank you!! If I make sure to top off the rings in the bottom, do I need to add a sponge or a cup of water too? I didn't do it with my last chick and she did great. Does the number of eggs in there make a difference with humidity levels?

I filled the rings and added a wet sponge. They are safe and happily wobbling around on the floor of the incubator.... even the two that I thought were questionable when I candled them are wobbling around :) I can't wait to see what I get!

Back
Top Bottom