Automatic waterers for dogs or horses, can they be used for chickens?

aboverubiesmom

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 28, 2013
I live in a non freezing area and I have a dish waterer that hooks up to the spiget for my dogs and an auto waterer hooked up to a spiget for my horse that is the same only holds about 3 gallons. Other than a possible drowning issue in the larger horse type livestock waterer, would there be any reason at all not to use a dog dish size auto waterer for my chickens (I don't have any chicks under 8 weeks where it would be)? I have seen lots of things under this forum but haven't found that specific question, answer, or picture and really want to know if there is a reason not to use this as I am really getting tired of the large metal conatiner & I can't put ACVB in it and so was looking at different options. Thanks in advance.

If they can reach in to drink the water they can us them. My grandfather used five gallon tub buckets for his waterers, never knew that a chicken drowned in one.

Thanks! I also saw one yesterday made for chickens by Millside Industries (automatic hanging poultry fountain) that looked good but not sure one can add ACV or oregano oil to it except straight into drinking part. I just can't
stand the 5 gallon galvanized steel one right now.

I use an electric dog watering (the plastic kind you typically see) for water and my hens use it just fine. I only have 4 hens so I use the smaller sized dog dish but its so nice not to have to deal with frozen water. The only drawback is that I change it at least 2x a day depending on what they throw into it but it's worth it for winter water.

Great, thanks! I'm in southern California in the flatland so no worries about freezing and was planning to elevate it on some bricks like the other one to discourage perching & pooping. All of them except the nipples have to be cleaned anyways but my enclosure is made of S40 pvc so can't hang a 5 gallon nipple waterer anywhere in it. Just wanted to know if it has worked for people so glad to hear it has.

Back
Top Bottom