Autosexing Silver Barred RIR

nicalandia

Free Ranging
14 Years
Jul 16, 2009
Stuck In a Dream
My Coop
My Coop
yes, they do exist, the Silver Barred Rhode Island Red, Their Name was Isbar and created by Martin Silverudd way back then, but some how their name got confused, but some people are working hard to bring them back from the brink of extinction, well at least in sweeden, wedish Culture Poultry Associaion www.kulturhons.se,

http://bostallet.cybersite.nu/SBRIR---Vit-Isbar

at the moment they are breeding back to RIR to improve on size and type(just like Rhodebar breeders are doing) but due to that some gold leakage cant be avoided, I just started to help them with some genetics, will be posting progress pics when available.

Correct me if I am wrong . RI white are silver ? So a RIW and Rhodebar would be a starting point if someone in the USA wanted to try this from scratch .

Correct me if I am wrong . RI white are silver ? So a RIW and Rhodebar would be a starting point if someone in the USA wanted to try this from scratch .
thats correct, type wise and utility traits are about the same, but you only need their S/S(silver) gene.. The best breed to start with is one that has similar body type and has Silver AND Barring.. I would say that if some one is wanting to recreate this long lost breed in the USA is to start with Delawares and Rhodebars, Genetically they are Almost identical both are Columbian Restricted and has Sexlinked Barring, but Delawares are Wheaten and Silver,

Delaware Male Cross to a Rhodebar will produce e+/eWh Co/Co B/B S/s+ Males(some of them will be Autosexable, but some wont) the Females will be e+/eWh Co/Co B/- S the Females will be Silver.

Silver Barred RIR are Basically Auntosexing Delawares(with the small difference in type) now you can keep breeding back to Rhodebar to select for e+/e+ SBRIR females and males OR go back to Delawares with the F1 Silver Females and create Austosexing Delawares in any case P.M me for genetic help

This is how a Male from a Rhodebar x Delaware should look like, his genetic make up would be e+/eWh Co/Co Mh/mh+(supressed by double barring) B/B S/s+

the male above is actually eWh/eWh Co/Co Mh/mh+ B/b+ S/s+ but the looks would be similar(witht the B/B male being lighter in coloration)

Video of the parent stock of such cross(red sexlinks)
0.jpg

I just found this thread! They are working on recreating this breed in Sweden. They are working from Martin Silverudd's original notes. I have been getting updates on the progress from the director of the program over there. He has generously agreed to share eggs from his project with a group that I lead. God willing and the creek don't rise, we will be importing some eggs from this project this fall and working with our Swedish friends to continue the recreation here in the States.

It is important to note that the original Isbar created by Martin Silverudd was a green egg layer. Post #3 of this thread tells briefly about the original Isbar: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1090421/silverudds-blue/0_20

Back
Top Bottom