Average age for crowing

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pbjmaker, Jul 3, 2008.

1. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Can anyone tell me what the average age is for a roo to start crowing? I have a bird that were not sure of the sex on but has started making a noise that sounds like a squeeky hinge when s/he is curious or alarmed about something. Other than that s/he still "peeps" all the time. They are over 9 weeks old.

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I had one start at 5 weeks, and another wait til 5-6 months. I dont think there really is an average. But i bet you are right because all the ones i ever suspected as roosters.....i was right. I think we like to doubt our suspicions because that is when most of us hope to be wrong [​IMG]

3. Queen Scoot

Queen Scoot Crochet Chieftess

May 27, 2008
    HOOKERVILLE!!!
    scooter my brown leghorn started crowing at 8 weeks.

4. chickenlickin8

chickenlickin8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    I had an Amerucana roo that started crowing at 3 months or so. I was standing at the kitchen window one morning early and I heard this half low pitch crow. I ran outside and sat and watched the flock and there it was again....the little roo (which I thought was a hen) was on the perch stretching HIS little neck. It was so cute but he had to go....I don't want a roo. You will definitely know it is a crowing sound....best time is early morning.

5. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    My buff orpington and buff rock both started crowing the same day at 13 1/2 weeks old.

6. SarahF

SarahF Chillin' With My Peeps

thats a great question, i was on here looking for that answer too! another thing i'm wondering though, I have 20 chickens (14 that are about 8 weeks and 6 that are about 4 weeks - we just mixed them the other day, all is well so far) anyways, i have two roosters (8 weeks old)....should i get rid of one, or will they co-exist together?
    So far so good, they seem to be living in peace. [​IMG]

thanks,
    SarahF

7. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I have an EE that started crowing at 5 weeks but my other 4 roos in that bunch of 67 have not started crowing yet and they are almost 7 weeks.
    And to hear the Silkie crow is just too funny! I think he may be 5 months old.

SarahF,
    I have 4 roos and 3 hens that co exist in one coop very well but they do free range during the day and they are Cochins. I think it depends on breeds and environment. There may come a day when they no longer tolerate being the underling. Then it is stew pot time.

8. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    My little man decided today was a good day to start. He will be 16 weeks on Monday.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

There really isn't an average. Had one crow at five DAYS old and one as late as 15 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by