Avian Flu (H5N1) - Discussion

Have your birds been affected by the Avian Flu?

• Total voters
Yes but however when the eggs hatch, hypothetically, what will you do?
I live in FL. My average temps, this time of year, are high enough to kill HPAI before incubation is complete - or will be by next month. We are already hitting high 80s during the day, and our humidity ensures we don't (normally) have deep drops in temp overnight. I don't think 70F minimum for three weeks solid is enough to reliably kill all HPAI strains, but I'm certain that 80F min for two weeks will, based on the published studies - particularly as I expect highs in the mid to upper 90s.
So a three week incubation in a 95F degree environment ensures there's no HPAI in the hatch. another couple weeks inside in the brooder, and by the time they touch my grounds, there will be no trace of HPAI in the soil or anywhere else.

Hypothetically.
Based on the published research.

Not that I've given it much thought.
But since you asked...

Wow. I came on this thread to see if there was any good information about the bird flu, and while a couple of people have posted some helpful stuff, the majority of it has been arguing. Why, people, why? This avian influenza is real. There's a suspected case not half an hour away from where I live, and Washington has just had its first confirmed case.

Anyway, what I wanted to ask is: Do small, wild birds pose a big threat to my flock? Only sparrows can get into the run. And, hypothetically, could you treat avian flu, or is the mortality rate so high it's counterproductive? Also, I've heard that it's mainly waterfowl spreading the flu. Is this true, or is landfowl just as much to blame?
Here is a link to a pretty thorough summary of how much of a transmission risk different bird species are.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7690888/

It is a heavy read but quite informative. My (likely over simplistic) takeaway is first that all birds can have and transmit bird flu. That the real-world risk depends a lot on the species and the geography.
Some species are very small and therefore don't shed much virus (think hummingbird), or biologically are low shedders, or behaviorally don't come in contact with reservoir species (like ducks) and/or chickens. Whereas others hang out with the ducks, hang out at chicken farms and are either big or come in flocks that are collectively big (think Grackles).

The BYC thread that has the most informed and serious discussion on this round of Avian flu is: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/avian-influenza-found-in-south-carolina.1507893/

That thread is now long but has lots of info including the link to APHIS and the live map.

Here is the APHIS link for backyard and commercial chickens (embedded is a link for the wild bird screening): https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ou...pai-2022/2022-hpai-commercial-backyard-flocks

And here is the link to the map that seems sometimes to be updated earlier than APHIS which can be up to a week behind: https://recombinomics.co/h5n1-hpai-united-states-2022-map/

Hope that all helps.

Looks like Backyard flocks are getting hit the harest in the NW and NE. I’m in MA. Praying none of our chickens get it!

If y’all saw the second video linked in the first post, it is crazy to me how the government it just going around and killing entire flocks- hundreds of backyard birds, dozens of broken hearts. I understand it is for her safety and wellness of other birds around, but it is not necessary IMO— the AI will be around for years and years.
And THAT is why I won't tell the government if one of my birds gets sick or that I even have a flock in the first place!

Insane that Texas only has one reported case. But judging by all the fools on FB they aren't planning on reporting it. And people wonder why the government wants to register your flocks so they know where potential issues could occur.

If their coop appears on google maps, the State will find them - its how CA found backyard flocks during Newcastle. and when that didn't work, they did aerial flyovers.

Looks like Backyard flocks are getting hit the hardest in the NW and NE. I’m in MA. Praying none of our chickens get it!

If y’all saw the second video linked in the first post, it is crazy to me how the State is just going around and killing entire flocks- hundreds of backyard birds, dozens of broken hearts. I understand it is for her safety and wellness of other birds around, but it is not necessary IMO— the AI will be around for years and years.

To me, the problem isn't if my birds get it. It's if the govt sets up quarantine zones, like they did on SoCal with vND. It won't matter if your birds are sick or showing symptoms, the govt will come in and kill all of your birds if you live within a certain radius of an outbreak. I haven't heard of that happening yet with this HPAI outbreak, thank goodness. I'd rather have my birds all die from AI than from inept "euthanasia."

Back
Top Bottom