Avian Flu Near Me

Pics
Hello BackYardChickens, I have a query. Recently, cases of Avian Flu popping up along the east coast. There has so far been one confirmed outbreak in my state (it was in a county a far way away from me). Should I be concerned about it appearing in my flock? The outbreak was considered non-poultry and was very small flock size (website tracking the outbreaks: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ou...pai-2022/2022-hpai-commercial-backyard-flocks). It was almost a month ago and there have been no other confirmed cases in my state. I have a chicken flock size of about 60 and a group of 5 ducks. The chickens and ducks are free ranged on my two acres and can often eat what falls off of my bird feeders, the wild birds may also drink from my duck pond. I'm wondering if there are any precautions I can take to protect my flock and my self, that is, if I need to. Should I be concerned? If so, what can I do? (I can isolate them inside my coop as I have a spacious enclosed run if needed).

P.S. My state is Virginia
Yes, I would consider locking them up. If you do so, consider keeping the ducks separate. They are little feathered Trojan horses of the flu. If they got the flu from the wild ducks, they may not show symptoms, but could pass the virus through their droppings. The chickens could get sick from (ironically) being locked up in close quarters. Good luck. It's scary.

Hello BackYardChickens, I have a query. Recently, cases of Avian Flu popping up along the east coast. There has so far been one confirmed outbreak in my state (it was in a county a far way away from me). Should I be concerned about it appearing in my flock? The outbreak was considered non-poultry and was very small flock size (website tracking the outbreaks: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ou...pai-2022/2022-hpai-commercial-backyard-flocks). It was almost a month ago and there have been no other confirmed cases in my state. I have a chicken flock size of about 60 and a group of 5 ducks. The chickens and ducks are free ranged on my two acres and can often eat what falls off of my bird feeders, the wild birds may also drink from my duck pond. I'm wondering if there are any precautions I can take to protect my flock and my self, that is, if I need to. Should I be concerned? If so, what can I do? (I can isolate them inside my coop as I have a spacious enclosed run if needed).

P.S. My state is Virginia
Accomac, tons of commercial farms, Perdue, Tyson, Mountianaire.

URGENT UPDATE:
One of my Australorp hens (3-4 years) suddenly died today, no known cause of dead he comb was purple and she was still warm when I found her, she seemed to have a liquidy stomach and was oozing some out of her rear. Just half an hour ago I noticed one of my bantams not doing good, her comb is turning purple and she has yellowish diarrhea. I’ve had a few soft shelled eggs recently but I though that may have been a nutrient deficiency. I am isolating my bantam. I want to call my state AG department to get them tested but I’m concerned they will kill off my flock if tested positive. This morning did have a sudden change to around 40 degrees but it warmed up later on. What should I do? Is there anything I can do to help prevent the extermination of my flock?
If they are sick, they will die anyway, sorry.

I keep my young hens in a roofed run away from my bird feeder, not to say birds never visit, but the feeder does reduce the count. I don't have major chicken rearing operations near me, Texas gets too hot for it to be profitable I guess. I would not be free ranging near big chicken outfits with bird flu.

I do have a quarantine policy. I rarely buy adult birds - I bought 6 point of lay pullets last January, and they went in a run by themselves and except for the one who is poorly, they are still there.

Sick birds get pulled out of the flock and I have one in a dog crate right now who probably just has a severe calcium deficiency, just on general principle. The dog crate is by my old birds - 2 roos (one caged) and a hen, close enough to put them in danger, but not with them per se.

Back
Top Bottom