Avian influenza found in South Carolina

4ddf4a79f553a3065898a8bc1bfcb53ade0cc7b6690ca9c799cd32397a72e41a.jpg

The following was posted earlier in this thread by @HeatherKellyB
This site seems to update faster and has a map.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/2/viewer?ll=40.270833934453734,-90.92885337559633&z=4&mid=1E2wqF61M_F0pc9zOvoEs075hbeDW_Lot

Info page for the site above also updates throughout the day and I believe 7 days a week.
https://recombinomics.co/discover/?&before=1648821574&latest=1648808389
so glad to be reading through this whole thread—i saw that my county’s first case in domestic birds was just a couple weeks ago. i was very keen to know exactly where in county, so thank you. interestingly, it’s also an area often (and again this year) that sees significant flooding.

While shopping at my local rural Walmart yesterday, I saw that the price for Great Value brand one dozen large eggs was $5.96. Though I sell eggs, I see the high price as no cause for celebration. Store egg prices also rose during the last bird flu outbreak in 2015, which resulted in higher sale prices for my own hen's eggs. But then as in now, I understood my my own chickens could also contract HPAI, and I would lose them all. I much prefer lower egg sale prices than the possibility of that. My chickens are free-range, and though I will keep them penned if HPAI is found in my area, that will create tons more work for me as far as cleaning coops, hauling feed and water, etc. No fun for either me or a bunch of jailed chickens. I really hope it doesn't come to that, but the relentless spread through nearly all states is very concerning. Makes me think that almost all wild birds and free-range poultry may be exposed before this is over. Will bird species (other than waterfowl) begin to aquire resistance, and will HPIA become endemic within bird populations? That is already occurring in some parts of Asia, and Europe appears to be headed down that path too.🤔

A creature can only develop resistance to a disease if it is allowed to survive the encounter. Unfortunately, current protocols for our flocks prevent that resistance from developing.
Yes I know, but eventually it may come to that, unless every single wild bird in a "hot" area could be tested and euthanized if positive for HPAI, which is of course impossible.

Yes I know, but eventually it may come to that, unless every single wild bird in a "hot" area could be tested and euthanized if positive for HPAI, which is of course impossible.
That's my point. Because entire flocks are being euthanized, we'll never find chickens that can actually survive this disease and pass on those genes.

Locking down flocks makes perfect sense when an infection is detected. Government imposed massacres will never get us past this disease. Every type of wild bird will eventually become resistant to HPAI and all domesticated birds will fail to gain resistance.

We need to learn a lesson from China's 2+ years of Zero Covid policy failures. They never gained significant resistance as a nation and eventually had to let the disease takes it's course so that they could actually move on.

Last edited:
That's my point. Because entire flocks are being euthanized, we'll never find chickens that can actually survive this disease and pass on those genes.

Locking down flocks makes perfect sense when an infection is detected. Government imposed massacres will never get us past this disease. Every type of wild bird will eventually become resistant to HPAI and all domesticated birds will fail to gain resistance.

We need to learn a lesson from China's 2+ years of Zero Covid policy failures. They never gained significant resistance as a nation and eventually had to let the disease takes it's course so that they could actually move on.
Waiting for resistance to develop is hit-or-miss. Having enough resistance to avoid mortality does not prevent transmission. To be beneficial, the resistance would also have to be a heritable trait. The virus is going to be mutating at the same time to side-step resistance.

APHIS is focusing on building resistance through vaccination.

Waiting for resistance to develop is hit-or-miss. Having enough resistance to avoid mortality does not prevent transmission. To be beneficial, the resistance would also have to be a heritable trait. The virus is going to be mutating at the same time to side-step resistance.

APHIS is focusing on building resistance through vaccination.
Wait. What? There is a vaccine? How did I miss that?!

Back
Top Bottom