Avian influenza found in South Carolina

The request for public comments is encouraging - shouldn't we somehow as a BYC community come up with a position statement and submit it?
Of course we could all do that individually, but I wonder if a collective view of a group might carry more weight.
I noticed there were only a few comments and none as detailed as the one by H&H Farm. They said during the time they had to wait some birds started to recover and some never got sick. About 90% survived. Of course all were later culled.

I know there is an eagle in VA that's being treated under supervision by a wild life rescue. If infected but survives, wouldn't he be a carrier? I don't understand this.

I wonder how many people check the aphis news page? I was checking because of AI. Maybe this is why so few comments.

I think comments close in 2 weeks. A response would have to be done quickly.

Emailed the article to myself. Out of pure safety reasons, I don’t download anything onto my phone. Will open it tomorrow on my laptop and read through the comments from the farm. Thank you for posting.

Are you going to ask them not to kill your chickens if they get AI? That would be a non-starter. Maybe ask them to fake compasion for the owner and be more polite. Maybe ask them to increase the monitary compensation to something that is more appropriate for backyard chickens.
Well I don't know really. It feels to me that mass culling is a short sighted approach vs vaccinating commercial birds for example.

Read through the long comment from the farm. Very eloquently written. I feel terrible for them. It sounds like some of their birds survived exposure and would be carrying immunity. The fact that they offered to let them use their land and birds for testing and they refused makes me think that “they” don’t care about individuals or the birds they care for, or wildlife as a whole. Just the damn industry factory farms.

Read through the long comment from the farm. Very eloquently written. I feel terrible for them. It sounds like some of their birds survived exposure and would be carrying immunity. The fact that they offered to let them use their land and birds for testing and they refused makes me think that “they” don’t care about individuals or the birds they care for, or wildlife as a whole. Just the damn industry factory farms.
Also I doubt they are set up for testing and trials

Back
Top Bottom