Avian influenza found in South Carolina

Pics
Here is an infographic from USDA I came across that may answer some questions. Link Response Process
That link doesn't work....
Screenshot_20220304-184639.png

From what I could see, they go out 10 km (6.2 mi) from the confirmed location to test for AI.

I do not know where the nearest commercial chicken house is -- probably not that close since they're mainly north of a highway I'm south of -- but there are multiple backyard flocks within that range.

but there are multiple backyard flocks within that range.
I know of at least 3, and that's only going one direction. The biggest one ("Farm fresh eggs for sale" sign by the road size) has been keeping their chickens inside. Good for them.

Actually, my neighbor might be the biggest one. She has 36.

Two houses down from me they have 4. They range in the yard. There are a bunch further down the road and I know one flock has an acre or two to free range.

As far as the farm there is no one else within the 4 corners of a long road…but beyond that a bunch of keepers. Most are fenced with electric fencing in a small area and a couple are in a large run. I don’t think any of them free range.

I do not know where the nearest commercial chicken house is -- probably not that close since they're mainly north of a highway I'm south of -- but there are multiple backyard flocks within that range.
I haven't read through all 59 pages, but this really concerns me. I don't know why I was only thinking of backyard chickens. We have seven commercial chicken houses right down the road from us. Less than a mile. Just hoping Arkansas doesn't start seeing cases or my flock might be screwed...

Back
Top Bottom