Avian influenza found in South Carolina

Could you have a pulley system that opens a pop door into the secondary area? That way you could open it from another location. I did one with 2 pulleys and wire where I lived before so I could be outside and still open the pop door. Not sure this helps your situation?

I was originally planning to build an 8x10 coop with a covered 10x15 run for 9 hens. Now I’m planning to make the coop larger and use repurposed windows and doors to completely enclose the run.

From what I’m reading we have a hot summer to possibly buy us time to get the coop’s ready for potential full lockdown should it get as bad as the UK here. The heat I understand kills the virus back through the summer. Sadly I anticipate it will get that bad but we do have time and at least know what’s coming.

Last edited:
Basically, we are waiting on viruses to do what they usually do. Killing the host is NOT the goal of a virus. It needs the host to live, so it can be passed on. Over time, virii tend to become more transmissible, and less lethal. At least, successful virii. In short, either it burns itself out, or it becomes endemic.

Stuff we should have all learned in high school biology class.

Some pathogens become less lethal over time, true. However, 'less lethal' is relative! Populations who are comprised of individuals descended from survivors will have better survival rates; smallpox, measles, and syphilis are all examples of that.
Vaccinations change the picture too, when there's an available and widely used product available. Then, on a population level, better inherited survival rates don't matter so much, and likely in the face of an outbreak among the unvaccinated, survival/ serious illnesses would again be higher.
And plague: never camp on a prairie dog town!!!
Also, having wonderful genetic resistance to disease A doesn't mean anything if disease B turns up.
Epidemiology!
Mary

Some pathogens become less lethal over time, true. However, 'less lethal' is relative! Populations who are comprised of individuals descended from survivors will have better survival rates; smallpox, measles, and syphilis are all examples of that.
Vaccinations change the picture too, when there's an available and widely used product available. Then, on a population level, better inherited survival rates don't matter so much, and likely in the face of an outbreak among the unvaccinated, survival/ serious illnesses would again be higher.
And plague: never camp on a prairie dog town!!!
Also, having wonderful genetic resistance to disease A doesn't mean anything if disease B turns up.
Epidemiology!
Mary

Yeah, Life is Complicated.

and waiting on a virus to randomly mutate into a less lethal (remember, its only got to be less lethal enough to have a better chance at spreading!) variety can be a long wait. Vaccines are game changers for the living, but don't have clear and uncontroverted effects on the "less lethal" trend we saw in history.

Also, there are too too many Influenza virii!

Well AI is over the Rockies, two cases in two different counties in southern Idaho. 😣 And of course my girls made a break for it while I was changing their water yesterday. Thankfully they have a good recall (aided with a little bit of scratch) so they were back in the run quick lol. I have a good set up to contain them and coop shoes, but still stressful! Lots of waterfowl around; geese on top of houses and mallards nesting around the neighborhood.

Attachments

• C04A206A-65DE-4D1B-9510-048DBD3A3050.jpeg
    C04A206A-65DE-4D1B-9510-048DBD3A3050.jpeg
    474.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 5443CFEA-66CD-4222-BD0A-A3D43C7130A2.jpeg
    5443CFEA-66CD-4222-BD0A-A3D43C7130A2.jpeg
    735.4 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom