Avian Paramyxovirus info

Animalian

Songster
8 Years
Jun 18, 2011
Australia
Hi guys
Just wondering if any of you know much about or have experience with Paramyxovirus it's been detected for the first time in Australia and many pigeons have died only 30mins away from my house!

My concern is that on the news they said it can be passed to poultry, and the affected birds MIGHT exhibit 'neurological symptoms' then just drop dead! I'm worried because I free range my hens and do see wild doves stealing their feed now and again. Apparently all the free range farms around are keeping their birds inside until the vaccine can be imported to australia(not here yet because it's never been an issue before).

My coop/run is small and really just for them to sleep and eat in so I'm thinking I should make like the farmers and knock up a bigger covered run at least till I can get my hands on the vaccine too... Info is limited and I'm getting frustrated!

Am I over reacting?!

http://www.daff.gov.au/about/media-...1/virus-detected-in-pigeon-flocks-in-victoria

I had a guinea hen mysteriously pick that up, at least that's what the vet told me. She seemed ok, except she couldn't hold her head up. We named her Gobbles, like the turkey from South Park. I don't know if you get that down there. She slowly lost muscle control, her poops were kind of foamy. Vet said she probably got it from wild bird in yard. Had to euthanize her, and was warned it (the disease) lives in the ground, and it wouldn't be a good idea to take her home to bury her, so I paid him dispose of her body.
I don't know if it was a money making scheme, or if it was really true. That was about 4 yrs. ago, haven't had another problem.
This was in New York.

Thank you I will look out for the poop and the muscle control must be what they meant by neurological symtoms.

Back
Top Bottom