Avian pox in eye

KelsiNS

Songster
6 Years
Jun 24, 2013
Buna, TX
My easter egger, Ada, seems to have fared worse than the others with avian pox. It is directly on her eyelid, and has caused this unsightly issue.

She is doing fine in all other regards, just moving a little slower since i doubt ehe can see very well on this wide.

What can i do for the poor girl? Today is the first day its swelled or bubbled (ive been checking everyone twice a day).

I had the same issue with some of my girls. I went and bought Vetericyn Ophthalmic gel from TSC. I gently wiped their eye with it on a paper towel. Do that everyday. Eventually the scab will fall off.

I had 2 girls that had it on their eye lids and they are fine now. It took about 2 weeks for them to clear up.

Now i have four with swelled shut eyes :( i cant find vetricin so im using neosporin. Ada has pretty well cleared up. Now theyre all moping and feeling poor. Added some vitamins to a spare water bowl and did my morning neosporin rub on everyone.

Got three that havent gotten it yet. Waiting patiently.

Okay, eye infections in Chewi, Ada, Naobi, and Godiva are all clearing up. The pox scabs are coming off daily, medicating the open sores-alls good on the homefront.

Except Xena. Xena has a scab over an eye. Well, so do a dozen others. Only Xenas went from a scab to a huge raised lump of a scab that now extends from her temple to halfway up her eye. Its maybe 1/4" raised. NOW her eye is oozing. Im using the same plan of attack but im wondering if some of these poor kids with the huge cumbersome scabs may fare better to be brought inside and have the biggest ones removed and sterilized. Im not touching Xenasfor fear of damaging the eyelid, but even she has a few that seem like they could come off with a gentle wipe from a medicated washrag.

Also? My cuddled roosters who everyone warned me about-thank god they were snuggled because medicating a calm chickens face is a mightmare, much less if they were struggling. Its also kinda funny to see all the chickens calmly accept a q tip being swabbed on their eyelid to clear the nastyness out.

Back
Top Bottom