aviary size

Discussion in 'Ornamental Fowl (Swans, etc.)' started by nurglechicken, Nov 23, 2012.

1. nurglechicken

nurglechicken New Egg

Nov 23, 2012
    Hello waterfowl experts! I currently have chickens, pigeons and Lady Amhersts and have been wanting to get into waterfowl for years now. I finally have the extra cash and the all important OK from the spouse to start the aviary for a few pair. My question has to do with the space needed. What I want is a pair of mandarins, a pair of white-faced whistling ducks, a pair of wood ducks and a pair of northern pintails. My area that i have available is 12X20. The pond would be 5X9 and the rest would be ground(logs, large rocks, ornamental grasses,etc). Does this seem big enough for them or am I trying to cram too much in there? If it's too small how big of an aviary would I need for these guys? Also, do you foresee any problems with these breeds co-habitating?Thanx a lot guys, I look forward to your answers.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I'll leave the questions for the experts but [​IMG]

3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Hopefully BBB, DestinDuck or Kangababy will see your post and come along with guidance. In short though, yes you are trying to do too much in too small a space.

4. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    Welcome to BYC Nurglechicken.Like Celtic said. That is a bit cramped.There would always be alot of fussing with each other. In the order of niceness of the birds its this. Pintails,white-faced,woodducks and manderins. If I were you I woud pick two pair. One from pintail and white -faced because these hang on the ground mainly and the other two like to perch up higher.Or build a biggerpen It always happens anyway.LOL! Show us pics of course when ya get em. Good luck. Love the avatar Kev.

5. kangababy

kangababy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Alabama
    I agree with destin. You want a 10x10 area per pair. and typically mixed between perchers and ground layers.
    Another thing to think about is permits. Pintails and wood ducks will require you to get a permit to sell or dispose of (so any babies or eggs or even teh adult birds you bought). Where the white face and Mandarins do not.

6. dylan duck man

dylan duck man Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    i agre with destin and kangababy i have all of those ducks but i have bigger aviarys another thing is you need some wood duck boxes if you want aall four i woul make your pen bigeer and put boxes and perches in it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by