Avocado

Bethany101

Songster
Apr 18, 2020
Hey girls,

( EDIT for clarity:: I have not ever given ANY avocado to my chickens before -- I have just acquired this bowl of scraps from emptying the fridge and making dinner last night 01/02/21 )

I have 14 chickens and 7 ducks (21 birds) and I am new-ish to homesteading (1-year), and I have seen a lot of negative things regarding avocado, ESPECIALLY the skins.

I have this bowl of undesirables from the fridge.

Is a smaller amount of avocado okay? Like 1 avo chopped into 1/2-IN chunks (1.25-CM) mixed with maybe 1 gallon (4 litre) volume bowl of other stuff? (Tomato, soft apples, floppy basil, stale bread bits, vinegar/olive oil/chili flakes {week old scraps from the fridge} ). I like to give my birds treaty foods 1 or 2 times per week but don't want to give them bad food.

I have seen varying info about avocado ingestion for birds, just curious if anyone maybe gives avo to their birds, and IF SO how much / how often ?? Thank you ❤

Attachments

• 16096813091441888433570918722748.jpg
    16096813091441888433570918722748.jpg
    615.4 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
I must say I am confused over the opposition to avocado flesh... considering that there are multiple 'respected' websites and lots of people saying it's just the skin and stone that's toxic. The flesh is 100% fine. It's known that chocolate can kill dogs or chickens. But it's also known that the flesh of an avocado is fine. Why the big deal?

As a family, we eat a lot of avocado. The skin and pit and over ripe fruit all go in the chicken bucket. They eat the flesh and leave the rest. Same as citrus and bananas. They eat the good stuff and leave what isn't good for them. They know where the compost pile is. They just go over there and pick out what they want. I save them the trip.

Thank you, same here! That's why I'm asking, most of what I see is about the skin being harmful but not much info about the flesh 😊

Good news, THANK YOU!!

It is just a small amount I have mixed in with other stuff... Maybe 1 part avo :: 16 part other vegetables/grains(rice and oatmeal). I put it all in, but thought I might ask other people their experience before I give it to them just in case!!
PLEASE don't. It is toxic for them, just compost!

Back
Top Bottom