Avocado

I must say I am confused over the opposition to avocado flesh... considering that there are multiple 'respected' websites and lots of people saying it's just the skin and stone that's toxic. The flesh is 100% fine. It's known that chocolate can kill dogs or chickens. But it's also known that the flesh of an avocado is fine. Why the big deal?

I must say I am confused over the opposition to avocado flesh... considering that there are multiple 'respected' websites and lots of people saying it's just the skin and stone that's toxic. The flesh is 100% fine. It's known that chocolate can kill dogs or chickens. But it's also known that the flesh of an avocado is fine. Why the big deal?

You must be new to the internet....if you say something untrue enough, it must be true! :gig

The only way you could make it more “2020” is to start the falsehood with “A lot of people say...”.

You must be new to the internet....if you say something untrue enough, it must be true! :gig

The only way you could make it more “2020” is to start the falsehood with “A lot of people say...”.
I'm not new... Plus when you have big brands such as PURINA saying avocado flesh is fine, don't you think they wouldn't lie about that? I can find tonnes of seemingly well respected websites saying that the flesh is fine. Omlet, a brand of chicken products says no as avocado contains a toxic deadly to chickens. But then again, why does PURINA say its fine, plus a multitude of other websites? My point is, I doubt that number of people and big brands would say the flesh is fine to eat without annnny backup whatsoever. What I'd be satisfied with is a scientific article with a conclusive outcome. Personally, I'm confused, I know the anti-vax community was founded on lies basically and yet that is still prevalent. So, it could be the same with this avocado thing. I personally wouldn't give my hens avocado just because of the risk. What I keep going back to is PURINA saying it's ok. Surely a large company would verify this first.

I'm not new... Plus when you have big brands such as PURINA saying avocado flesh is fine, don't you think they wouldn't lie about that? I can find tonnes of seemingly well respected websites saying that the flesh is fine. Omlet, a brand of chicken products says no as avocado contains a toxic deadly to chickens. But then again, why does PURINA say its fine, plus a multitude of other websites? My point is, I doubt that number of people and big brands would say the flesh is fine to eat without annnny backup whatsoever. What I'd be satisfied with is a scientific article with a conclusive outcome. Personally, I'm confused, I know the anti-vax community was founded on lies basically and yet that is still prevalent. So, it could be the same with this avocado thing. I personally wouldn't give my hens avocado just because of the risk. What I keep going back to is PURINA saying it's ok. Surely a large company would verify this first.

@Chickenman MAN - I think my attempt at humor fell flat. I was actually agreeing with you! I think we need more science and less “rote repetition” of things that aren’t true.

The annoying part is there isn’t a lot of money in backyard poultry science, so we don’t get as much good research as would be ideal.

We’re left with what we can find, which sometimes is JUST incomplete enough for bad info to proliferate.

So, avocado flesh is poisonous, just like potatoes and apple seeds (which are also not poisonous).

@Chickenman MAN - I think my attempt at humor fell flat. I was actually agreeing with you! I think we need more science and less “rote repetition” of things that aren’t true.

The annoying part is there isn’t a lot of money in backyard poultry science, so we don’t get as much good research as would be ideal.

We’re left with what we can find, which sometimes is JUST incomplete enough for bad info to proliferate.

So, avocado flesh is poisonous, just like potatoes and apple seeds (which are also not poisonous).
Ah ok. Sorry if that post from me felt a bit heavy handed then :) I agree that apple seeds and potatoes are toxic. Either way, I won't be feeding my hens any avocado :D

Back
Top Bottom