Avocados?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by desertgirl, Jan 23, 2010.

1. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    I've read/heard that avocados are a big no-no with chickens (indeed, with all birds), but I've talked to people who tell me that is balderdash-that they feed avocados to their chickens all the time. I've been erring on the side of caution (no avos to the girls), but thought I'd get everyone's opinion.

To avo or not to avo, that is the question...[​IMG]

2. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Avocados can cause cardiac arrest and heart failure, not saying feeding it to them one time is going to show any effect.. But it is a risk. I'd stay away from it.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  3. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    If I pay that much for an avocado, I am not sharing it with any critter.

4. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    [​IMG]

I agree. I was talking about the skins. As of now, I keep them out of my compost, since the composting goes through the chicken run first. And they take forever for my worms to breakdown in my wormbins.

It just sux to keep throwing what my eyes see as organic into the landfill.[​IMG]

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Why do you have to put whatever goes into the compost through the chicken run first? Some of mine goes through the run and some (coffee grounds, onion skins, for example) goes straight to compost. Or maybe start a second worm bin where you put your slow stuff? There are solutions available, but I know there are always trade-offs in expense and convenience so what you do depends on your priorities.

I like avocadoes, but my wife is allergic to them so we don't see them here. Is it allowed to be envious of someone that can have the problem of what to do with avocado skins?

6. Neil Grassbaugh

Neil Grassbaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    I do not know about chickens eating avocado skins. However the feral chickens (mostly fighting stock) that are so numerous in Puerto Rico flock to the avocados that have fallen to the ground from the trees. They eat them voraciously.
    They have to compete with me however. I see nothing wrong with using my greater size, knowledge of weapons and willingness to eat in the dark to keep me from eating ALL the avocados I can shove in my mouth thus saving them from predation by chickens.
    Chickens and avocados - I have this great avocado salsa recipe that is really good with Caribbean style roast chicken.

7. RocketDad

RocketDad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2008
    Near US 287
    I gave a mushy ava to the chickens a few weeks ago, and had one chicken get sick. I think it was serious indigestion. She was curled up in the corner of the coop next to the water, shivering. Her crop was big and mushy feeling, like a water balloon. I ended up taking her to the vet who shot her with 40cc of fluids. That and some massaging of the crop and she perked right up.

Why only one chicken sick? She probably ate more of it than the others - she's the alpha, and lays every day without fail, so she's pretty aggressive about food. Could it be coincidence, and something else made her sick? Maybe, but I'm not taking chances. That avocado cost me $40, in the long run, and I had one bite.

8. OverEggstended

OverEggstended Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    SW Washington State
    Skins may be ok. It is the pit and fruit close to the pit that is problematic.

We have parrots and this is a long-running debate. Seems there are more and less toxic varieties of avacadoes. But either way... it is the pit and leeching from the pit that is the killer.

9. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Quote:Too funny! [​IMG]

10. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    Quote:[​IMG]

OK, definitely not risking giving avos to the girls. Into the landfill they go. On the bright side, I can't afford enough avocados for this to be too much of a problem.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by