Awesome USPS story

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Esteri, May 17, 2010.

1. Esteri

Esteri Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    My box of meaties arrived from McMurray - all hale and hearty. I'm pretty sure the packing peanut is a Blue Andalusian. I hope it's a roo - the girls need someone to keep them in line. Everyone figured out the water and feed quickly and are doing well. But... that's not what this post is about...

The chicks arrived on SUNDAY. That's right. Sunday afternoon I get a call from Herbert at the main postal processing center about 30 minutes from here. "There's a box of chicks here for you. Would you like to come get them, or wait until tomorrow and pick them up at your local post office." I'll come get them, thanks. He gives me directions. Can I call you back at this number? "Oh sure, this is my cell phone."

So I drive out and find my way to the processing center. We connect via cell. And there he stands at the base of truck ramp 47 with a noisy box of peeps. I commented that I thought they weren't being shipped out until Monday. "Oh no, this company ships on Fridays. Then they arrive here on Saturday. (presumably late) and sit around until they go out Monday." I could tell by the way he said it that it bothered him. Hence the call.

So here's to Herbert Hiro from the West Sacramento processing center, a gentleman in every sense.
  2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Great story.

Way to go Herbert. [​IMG]

3. grundail01

grundail01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Dustin Acres
    WOW, not often you hear a good story about chicks and the PO. Way to go Herbert Hiro!
  4. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Hooray for Herbert -- a gentleman and a hero!

5. patnjess

patnjess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Awesome!!! Why the heck would they ship on that day. that is just wrong to make those babies sit in a box, I should sit them in a box for that many days [​IMG]
  6. eggseroneous

eggseroneous Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    South-Western PA
    That's awesome! Herbert is a great guy. If the "peanut" is a roo, he can be called Herbert! [​IMG]

I wonder why the hatchery mails on Fridays? They should know better. Maybe this is an issue that you need to address with them.
  7. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    I have been called at 7 am on a Sunday morning to, "Please, come get these loud things" from my local PO. I turned the light on in the brooder and went to get them. 40 minutes later I was dipping beaks and puttting them in the warmed brooder.

Glad your PO folks are as good as mine seem to be. My old delivery man was useless, but they all can't be good.

8. Lorije1

Lorije1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Quote:Awesome!! Hooray for Herbert the PO guy and also for the idea to name the maybe roo after him!
  9. white01

white01 Brady Brook Poultry

May 11, 2010
    West Enfield,Maine
    Way to go Herbert, and i agree the roo should have that name to,
  10. Laurieks

Laurieks Where did the time go???

Aug 14, 2009
    Sonoma County, CA
    Bravo Herbert!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Petaluma hub has a guy like that who let me come down for 7 week old Barnevelders at 10PM, instead of waiting another 10+ hours for them to get up here. Their box bottom might have busted through by then!
    I begged to get them there after getting a dead roo at my PO and seeing on tracking that he'd spent the night at the hub. He was prob. dead before that, but still... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by