Awkward, but.....

77horses

◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊
15 Years
Aug 19, 2008
Maine
Today I had a doctor's appointment (just an annual checkup thing). I had to answer a bunch of questions, such as what activities I do, how much fruits/veggies I eat a day, etc....etc......Then my mom mentioned to my doctor of an incident; on a school day a couple weeks ago, after getting off the bus, a couple of high schoolers started harassing (following us and saying rude things to us) my siblings and I when we got off the bus. I told my mom and she told the police and the school principal, and they had a talk about it and told the high schoolers that it was not allowed and there would be serious consequences if they did it again. Well, of course they stopped, and everything was fine. But today she brought it up (it was part of a personal question I had to answer or something) and explained it to my doctor. I felt a little embarrassed by it or something, I don't know why. So I got a little teary-eyed, which sometimes happens to me a lot over even small things because I can get emotional pretty easy...and it was in the morning, I was still half asleep, and I sometimes get nervous when I got to the doctor. So they thought I was upset over something because I was crying a little. My mom starts saying things like, "It seems like there's something else you want to tell me" and stuff like that, but HONESTLY, there wasn't! I was just embarrassed by it. She asked me why I was and I told her I didn't know, because I really didn't. I guess I felt like it was a past issue and it was weird of her to bring it up all the sudden. Yes it did bother me, but now I don't really care that the high schoolers kept being rude to us as long as it doesn't happen again. But my mom and the doctor both thought that there was something else wrong that I was hiding, which of course I wasn't, and that made me more frustrated, which made me even more teary-eyed, which made them more concerned.
barnie.gif
I told them there was nothing wrong and it was just embarrassing, which was the truth and nothing else. And the doctor is like, "If you need to talk to anyone, you can schedule another appointment if you want? You can come and talk to us about anything, OK?" As if I even needed to talk to anyone about anything??? They were acting like something was wrong, which wasn't. And they kept staring at me with those concerned, "are-you-sure-you're-ok?" faces.
hu.gif
h So afterwords we leave and my mom says, "So what's going on?" in the car. What the heck????? Didn't I tell her nothing was?
idunno.gif
So I got frustrated again and got teary-eyed and she thought it was something else, which it wasn't, but she wouldn't believe me.
barnie.gif
JUST because I was embarrassed by her talking about the incident, and because I hate crying in front of people and get embarrassed by it, she thought there was something I was hiding and kept poking me with all these questions, which of course I answer, "I don't know" or "No", because it had nothing to do with anything!
hu.gif
h I told her I was just embarrassed and that was it, there was nothing I "wasn't telling her".
idunno.gif
But she didn't believe me.

What do you think? I'm worried that she's going to ask me more about it and it's going to make me get teary-eyed again, because I'm embarrassed and confused why she's so concerned, which will make her more concerned in the first place!
barnie.gif
I know she's just worried a little, but seriously, I told her the truth and when she asks me "Is there something you need to tell me?" and I say "No", then that's the truth! But she thinks I'm lying.
hu.gif
h Any advice?

Sorry I just had to get that out. I didn't want to tell her because I knew I would feel embarrassed again and start crying, which I know I shouldn't, but I do for some reason, and she would think somethings up again.
hmm.png
Which, like I told her, there isn't.

Thanks and sorry for ranting!
duc.gif
hide.gif

Last edited:
I dont have any advice but I cry at the drop of a hat. I HATE it. I hate being put on the spot, get nervous and cry. It really stinks. I cant do anything confrontational. I hate making phone calls and having to speak to someone. Thing is, I'm not shy. As long as I have the upper hand in the conversation, I'm fine. But as soon as someone starts asking questions, putting me in the spot, I can feel my face get red and then theres no stopping it. Job interviews are torture. All I can offer are
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

I have always been a crier, too. And I totally understand what you mean about your mom. We moms worry about everything! I remember similar incidents when I was about your age. It's so frustrating, especially when trying to explain just makes you tear up all over again.

You couldn't pay me enough to be a teenager, again.

Maybe have your mom not go intot the doctor office with you? I just turned 17 and when I was about 15, when I got up to go intot he room and my mom started to get up, I said, Mom, I can handle it. Stay here. And I went in by myself, got business done, and bam, your outta there.

Quote:
Exactly! And when I start breaking down, my mom thinks there's something wrong, when there isn't! I try to tell her there isn't anything I'm "hiding", but she says, "People don't just randomly start crying like that." Ummm obviously, some do, such as you, key west chick, and I, and many other people. We don't like being on the spot and having everyone probing you with questions.
barnie.gif
It makes me frustrated, which makes me break down, which makes my mom thinks something is wrong with me!
barnie.gif

One thing is for sure..If I ever was suspected of some crime and was sat down and asked a bunch of questions, I would break down and start crying and they would think I was guilty.
roll.png
I'm not good at hiding things, although in this case, I'm not hiding anything except I'm just trying not to cry and be embarrassed by it!

And thanks. I'm glad there's someone else out there like me.
smile.png

Quote:
Yeah but she had to give my doctor some forms and stuff and apparently had some questions...I will tell her next time to wait outside in the waiting room.
smile.png

I don't know how old you are (and I don't need to know), but it sounds like you're probably around middle school age. I know when I was that age I used to cry at pretty much nothing or everything - it was rather embarrassing. I'm glad you understand that your mom is concerned about you; as moms, that's what we are about our kids and one of our biggest fears is that if something is wrong our kids won't want to talk with us about it, whatever the reason. Maybe what you could do is, in a day or so when it's not quite so fresh, ask her if you can speak with her about what happened. You might say something along the lines of "I know you were concerned about me the other day and that there was something happening that I didn't want to talk about. I want you to know that there isn't anything going on. I was crying because that's what I do when I get embarrassed. I don't know why I was embarrassed, but I was, and the more you guys kept pressing me, the more embarrassed I got. That's all it was. I also want you to know that if there is ever anything bothering or worrying me, I will come to you and talk about it." That way you let her know what was going on and that you do feel comfortable talking with her about problems you might have in the future. It will, hopefully, put her mind at ease. Good luck.
Liz

It's easy to get embarassed and want your mom to just shut up. As a mom myself, I go through the same issues with my girls, but honestly, we just need to be sure you are okay. Sorry she's embarassing you. You may want to sit down and write her a note similar to what you have told us here. It is easier when you don't have to make eye contact or look at the "are you sure you're okay' faces from a concerned parent. She just loves you and wants to be sure everything is fine. Tell her, but you don't have to be sitting beside her to tell her. E-mail her or like I said write a note. I do this with my kids ALL the time. It takes the pressure off them and keeps all of us from saying things we don't mean or the other person taking it a way other than how we mean it. And just tell her you love her and appreciate her concern, but that she should not have said anything about those kids, because that was a private matter. It's so hard to find a middle ground between parents and kids. Don't worry about getting teary eyed at confrontations or embarassing situations, it's normal. Let your mom know how you feel and just ask her to give you a little space and respect your privacy. We go from wiping butts and changing your diapers to teaching you guys to drive a car, and it seems like the same day sometimes!!! Give mom some credit for loving you enough to be concerned and then let her know you're growing up
smile.png
hugs.gif

I cry when I'm angry... which of course just makes the jerk who made me angry have something to laugh about, which just makes me more angry... and so on... so I hear where you're coming from... even worse for my brother who has the same thing happen.

If I was in your shoes, and was sitting at your computer right this very minute... I would leave this topic up on the screen and then figure a way to make mom see it... I donno, call her in and ask her about a shirt or something, then need to go to the bathroom... curiosity outta get her at least looking... and if she see's the word "mom" you're pretty well guaranteed she'll read it... take your time in the 'loo' and then come back...

Possible Outcomes... Mom realizes you aren't a liar, that you aren't hiding anything, and is totally okay with snooping through your puter -since it was for your own good after all- but doesn't bother mentioning she read it... but doesn't bug you about it any more...

Or she may decide to come clean about reading it, you can tell her yep that's exactly it, and things go from there...

Or of course she could just think that you're lying to your online friends as well as your family and doctor.

But, at least it would open the communication door, without you having to try yet again to not cry when you're being interrogated.

Then again... it's probably stuff like that that makes people call me crafty... so take that idea with a grain of salt.

hugs.gif

Thanks everyone. You're the best!
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
I've always found it was easier to leave a note or email or text her about something.

Thanks again for letting me clear it all out of my head. It makes me feel so much better that I can explain it and not break down crying in front of everyone!
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom