awkward walking chicken

I would bring her in start soaking her in warm water to relax het to help pass the egg, give a tums by mouth break it in pieces place on tongue to get her to swallow it. (Or other calcium tablet) Some people bathe them in epsom salts to assist. While in water gently massage toward her vent. Be about 20 minutes in water, warming as needed. Take out of water, lube vent to help pass egg, keep in house takes 24hrs or more to really dry out. Keep in dark quiet place to keep another egg from forming. Some have also done a vent exam to assist egg to come out, be very careful egg could break then you would need to get out broken shell and egg contents. Infection, or slicing of insides can happen from broken shell.

Is her belly under her vent tight and hard? Looks like there may be a loss of feathers there?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...scites-and-eyp-very-graphic-necropsy-pictures

Be very careful, 'cause if she has ascites any extra handling and/or stress could kill her. If she has a stuck egg *and* ascites I think you need to drain the fluid first, then give calcium.

-Kathy

She is not very swollen just firm. I have moved her inside did a soak and lube last night also gave a crushed calcium tab in her food. Hoping I come home to a surprise egg in the crate. Thank you guys!

OK no egg in the crate. I did another soak and felt inside of her. I do not feel an egg. She is starting to look a little swollen and is tender today. She is eating and drinking just fine and she took two calcium tablets crushed up. What now?

Back
Top Bottom