Ayam Cemani Test Breeding

As a side note; two of the 5 hens are Blue Ameraucana, Cream Legbar cross. Two blue egg layers. I am not sure if the same results can be expected from them although it might be interesting to find out.

Do you know which of their parents was which breed? The id+ gene is sex-linked, so a hen inherits it only from her father.

Then the crossed daughters should be fine for your test-breeding project.
Thank you NatJ. Eliminates any guess work.

The first AC roo will remain with the hens for two more days at which time the hens will remain idle for 5 weeks. Hopefully the second roo will come of age during this time. He's shown interest & has been testing his vocal cords. As striking as the first roo is, this second roo is even better. I'll see if I can take a few photos tomorrow. My only fear at this point is that the hens will start shutting down for the season.

Photos of birds for this test trial.

There are an additional 2 cockerels a month younger than the one shown at 4 1/2 months that will be used in 2021, including several pullets of the same age with very good to excellent characteristics in my grow-out pen.

Attachments

• BYC-T1.JPG
    BYC-T1.JPG
    924.8 KB · Views: 50
  • BYC-T2.JPG
    BYC-T2.JPG
    800.2 KB · Views: 45
  • BYC-T3.JPG
    BYC-T3.JPG
    886.7 KB · Views: 44
  • BYC-T4.JPG
    BYC-T4.JPG
    748.3 KB · Views: 50
  • BYC-T5.JPG
    BYC-T5.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 59
Thank you nicalandia. After 4 years of trial and error with disastrous results, not to mention time and monetary losses, I am cautiously optimistic going into this 5th year into next, given this new strain.

The early morning light wasn't quite right for these photos from the grow-out pen. There are actually 15 birds at this location. A few behind the bale of hay & a few inside the hen house.

The two with the red arrows in the first photo are the other 2 cockerels showing promise. Test breeding for those will be early next year.

Attachments

• BYC-T7.JPG
    BYC-T7.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 53
  • BYC-T8.JPG
    BYC-T8.JPG
    931.1 KB · Views: 52
I was in the process of separating the first roo and upon closer inspection his fibro expression is only about 80% (guess) so my expectations for the first hatches would appear at this point to be subpar, nothing like the majority of his offspring. My assumption at this point is he is the culprit of leakage in a few of the offspring; roughly 1:14 ratio. So my question for now is; all of my breeder hens show excellent fibro expression. Can their offspring deliver the Fm-2 even though the roo could be an Fm-1?

Back
Top Bottom