Ayam Cemani with balance issues

Sheriloo3

Songster
Aug 20, 2020
Hello all. I have several Ayam Cemani youngsters, about 4.5-5 months old. I had one that came down with wry neck when it was just a few weeks old, I treated it with nutridrench and after a few days, was totally fine. I read that this can be caused by nutritional deficiencies in the hen that laid the eggs (I ordered eggs from a hatchery and hatched them myself).

About a week ago, I noticed one of my girls was just laying down outside, and when I put their feed in the dish, she tried to get up to eat and just about fell over in the food dish. Her bum was all covered in poo, as she had just been laying in one spot for goodness knows how long, so I scooped her up and brought her inside.

I got her all cleaned up, tried to get her to walk and she wasn't having it. I checked her over for injuries, nothing. Other than the walking/balancing piece, she's totally fine. She's healthy, eats and drinks well, looks good, has a good attitude, etc. She will stand but can't seem to balance. She will walk if I put my hand under her beast bone to help her balance, she just seems to be top heavy and tips forward. Legs are warm, feet function as expected, she just can't balance.

After doing some research on the forums, I decided to start her on a super dose of vitamin B. The day I started giving it to her, I saw improvement. Initially she wasn't really standing at all, but she is now. She wasn't walking at all, she is now. There is definitely some kind of deficiency in her, though I'm not sure if she is the same bird that I had to treat months ago for wry neck.

If it is the same bird, could this be a result of Ill birds laying eggs and the hatchery selling them to unsuspecting buyers? I did my research on the hatchery and they seem legit to me, but who knows.

Does anyone have any ideas about why these issues keep happening? How long it will take before she can be back with the flock? Also, is there anything else I can do to help get her back to normal? Should I expect to have to supplement her for life now? Should I reach out to the hatchery and let them know of my troubles?

Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you!!

20201225_104321.jpg

nha.PNG

I got this little chick from Meyers, who I named Dizzy. I got him in a fry pan bargain
nhaa.PNG

I didn't ask for a credit, because he was only 1.00. He is 3.5 months old or so, still dizzy,(no one else is dizzy just him.) He is very sweet, he eats just fine and the other chickens don't peck him. (I never separated him.) And if he did get pecked he doesn't react, so I don't think the other chickens like to peck him. I don't believe he will focus enough to breed, or crow. He is not a problem, and I am not worried.

Dizziness and lack of balance can indicate a vitamin E deficiency. Give one whole capsule E 400iu per day until symptoms improve. B complex can help if there is a B vitamin deficiency and it can strengthen the legs.

Dizziness and lack of balance can indicate a vitamin E deficiency. Give one whole capsule E 400iu per day until symptoms improve. B complex can help if there is a B vitamin deficiency and it can strengthen the legs.
I did buy vitamin E as well, though I had not started giving to her yet. When I bought the B at the pharmacy, the brand I bought was buy one get one free, so I got the E, knowing that's used frequently for other ailments. Never hurts to have it on hand. I certainly will now and see if that helps as well. Thank you for the tip!!

Back
Top Bottom