Ayam Cemani

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that you are right! I just got carried away thinking about black chickens. A silkie could make it look pretty mangy.

I don't know why I am finding it so facinanating today?.?.?.?.?

We have one most perfect black silkie & didn't know untill today that there were other black breeds out there.

Would love to find out more if anyone has any more information!

btw, UC your birds are beautiful! After seeing Saturday & Sunday I see what you mean about the cross between Sumatras and Dark old English Game hens. I am still new to any chickens other than my own. I am learning so much.

Has anyone else tried to make a Ayam Cemani type bird???

Hi! Got your message and sent you a message back.
Getting 'carried away' is a good thing. Keeping the enthusiasm after several generations of a project is a great thing! And I'm still being 'carried away' by every hatch. The birds in my pics came from Turken x Silkie crosses (and only a few generations from that original cross).
smile.png

Lisa

wclawrence said in an earlier post about ayam Cemani,

"They are basically a compilation of all the darkening genes available, (E, extended black allele; willow shanks, gypsy faced, fibromelanotic) and maybe another kind of fibro-like gene. I imagine it would be fairly easy to make a bird that dark using black silkies, sumatras, and some basic knowledge of genetics. If anyone is interested in this project let me know and I may be able to get you started in the right direction. I think it would be cool to have a longtail peacombed version of this bird."

My problem is that I don't know anything about chicken genetics!

I think I am going to ask him for an all black chicken genetics for dummies lesson.​

wclaurance! I tried to pm you but you box was full!

Pthththth! It was a really long message and I lost it.

I will recreate it later after some breakfast!

Some other black skinned chicken breeds include the Swedish Black Hen and the Ac chicken of Vietnam. I am not aware if any of these exist in the US. The Sumatra has dark facial skin but the body skin is yellow. Sumatras would be useable in a breeding project for producing black skinned chickens but a black skinned breed would still need to be used.

Before I had my chickens I would look up all different kinds and I came across the Ayam Cemani. I wanted one then and I still want one now! I think that would be a very cool project. If I get some more space I might start on it.

What color eggs do they lay? ETA: Oh, I think brown, right?

~Rebecca

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom