Ayam Cemani

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't see why it bothers you so much? And love the continues comparisons to native stock... get the constant over looking if US stock numbers. Remember green fire JUST got theirs. Only a Couple breeders have had then for any
amount if time.

So blood lines and genetic sources have been extremely limited. When this happens, you can only line breed so long before they are so inbred that the birds loose fertility, immunity, etc

When this is the case, people always out breed to a comparable bird. Yes , its not pure then BUT to say the breeds is lost totally by that is just crazy. A true breeder knows and understands genetics and within 4-6 years will have the birds back perfect again. Any denial of that as a fact is well pointless to argue with. Look at any multi variety breed. They didn't mutate into all those colors. A breeder bred for that from other breeds and made them that way.

In cemani case. To say only having a single copy of FM makes them not cemani is way off.... if you get one even if it has no copies of it( which is ayam kudu by the way) all you have to do is simply breed it to one that is fibro.

As was just mentioned, fibro is DOMINATE... so if you have a perfect bird type and feathering wise folks... just breed it to the dark skinned o yes. That's all it takes. Fibro does not make a cemani a cemani. Its just 1 gene in the breed and honestly is the easiest gene to add back into them.

Its not rocket science or anything major. No different than and incorrect comb or wrong leg color.

This breed is so much more that just skin color after all... if not then a black silkie is a cemani too, correct...

NOW, I am in now way saying to breed for white skin. Pink legs, and green wings just for the record. The GOAL of a cemani yes is jet black threw and threw. But I'm also not going to sit back and listen to folks dismiss birds when some breeding will easily fix the defects. The USA at this time as is most of the world is not as fortunate as Java in having these beautiful birds running around in every back yard in town. If it were there, yes I'd say knock em in the head. But when a nations stock as a whole is just a couple hundred at Best... be a little understanding to the limited supply and allow we as US breeders time... well have them as good or better than anyone before long!

And Randy, so happy to have seen you post above too.... you are on the right track there. Don't get discouraged by all this. Every trait you need is right there at your house... you will easily have some stunning birds nest season!!

Nope, the 1,000 chicks I hatched last year were all BIS quality,
hu.gif
weren't yours?
wink.png

BIS quality?????

There's much more to the Ayam Cemani than black, but black is one of the most important parts.
One feather out of place or not being best in show is normal, but the degree of separation here is a whole different story based on the pictures I saw. Red combs and wattles, blotchy coloring, come on...

I've said my piece and if you want to call a fish taco a hamburger because McDonalds closed its doors then so be it.

Well, every breed of every animal has to start somewhere. It's just starting here in the US by creating a new breed. I think in many years from now, US breeders will have these beautiful birds bred to a common standard. I have faith. :)

My question is more of what kind of personalities do they have? Since they look gamey, are they comparable to a game bird? Flighty, alert, broody? Or are there so little of them there's no common traits? Just curious.

About the standard thing, I think it will end up being like the legbars. There are standards out there in other countries that will be adapted to our format. I would imagine their personalities being similar to a sumatra but that is just my thought.

About the standard thing, I think it will end up being like the legbars. There are standards out there in other countries that will be adapted to our format. I would imagine their personalities being similar to a sumatra but that is just my thought.
The breeder I'm getting my eggs from shows his. I should ask him the standards for the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom