Ayam Cemani

Status
Not open for further replies.
The people of Indonesia have been working on there birds for generations... Here in America ; We have only in the last 7 years got them here. And another importation recently. So with that said we have a little more work to do on them but are getting there..In another 2 years we will have them pretty much all to standard. Before now there were no standard here. But we are working on one. There interesting birds for sure. There are about 7-8 breeders working on them at present...Hopefully more soon....TM.

Quote:
Where can one find this process?

I am interested in the Cemani being sold by Wolfwhyte and he has had his birds for longer than 7 years. In personally conversing with him he has said he imported his birds in 1994.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/843824/ayam-cemanis

So his have been here since the 1990's and he has sold them to others in that time so it seems that there are more than a few breeders and not everyone with these birds may be here on BYC or known by those few that have the same popular and current strains being discussed here.
The eggs shown by Cemani Farms do not look white to me they appear to be a light or pale brown so how would they fit into a standard calling for a white egg? But that is the bird as it is in its native land....
The birds in the ebay auction do look odd and the photo color looks edited and maybe de-saturated, but having read this thread and the posts by Chamberlin and others I think there seems to be quite a lot of issues with the birds here and a lot of disagreement on what Ayam Cemani standards are, especially here in the US. I have no intention of spending thousands on a bird that someone here claims to be Cemani when others with more knowledge and native connection to the bird states they are not as they should be. Especially when the birds being put forth are hatching with white feathers or white toes or reddish tones to them, etc. It would seem to me a bit hypocritical to say anyone's birds here are not Cemani since no-one here seems to have a 'true' cemani but what appear to be a bit faulty - land race or not. There will be improvements in time I am sure. I think Chamberlin has some good points but agree they are a bit mute given the import regulations (for which I personally am grateful or I would not keep chickens and risk AI or the like).

I think any standard developed would be slanted towards the birds those few have and share but I understand that folks want to protect their investment.
I think this could very easily end up similar if not worse than the Cream Legbar situation where folks have both gold and cream birds and each wants theirs to be the standard... I admit a bias here to the cream colored Cream Legbar birds. But these Cemani seem to have more than just one single importer and that would mean any standard developed by one group could be contrasted by the owners of birds being bred by another group that have a different type in some fashion.
Wolfwhyte's states his lays a light brown egg and that seems more in line with the Cemani Farm birds and his prices seem reasonable. He's had a lot of interest so there will be a more than a few with his strain coming on line. They seem like a good starting point but it would seem that some may say they are not to the standard as they do not lay the white egg but that can be altered in time also if someone was interested in doing so.

It will be interesting to see how this all pans out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom