AZ / Confusion on zoning & Roosters / Mesa - Tempe - Chandler

missmaqs

Chirping
May 16, 2020
Phoenix
I have a rooster and must move. Most of the places I've looked at are within these zones. I am unsure how to find out if we can have a rooster within these zones. Anyone have any hints? Also seeking pro tips for finding homes in the appropriate zones. I've visited breeders in these cities before, any chance I need to look within HOA areas? So far none of the ones I've looked at have an HOA

Mesa zoning rs-9
Tempe zoning R1-7 , R1-6
Chandler zone sf-8.5

Mesa, zone R-9 is residential, single family, lots of at least 9000 sq ft.
Keeping of livestock (such as chickens) on a lot less than 35,000 sq ft (as yours is) requires a Special Use Permit. No guarantees they will issue one (judging from the rest of the code, it seems highly likely they won't. (11-31-4) Even less likely a rooster would be permitted.

Tempe, zoning R1-7, R1-6 allow the keeping of small livesstock with a special use permit and significant restrictions in those zones (limit 5 total, no roosters or peafowl, no on site processing, others). Additionally, you must conform to any overlay district requirements, if applicable. (Rio Salado District, SW Tempe District, Historic District, etc)

Chandler, zoning SF8.5 will allow limited chickn keeping by permit, no roosters. You need to check overlay districts as well.

Simple. Look up the code, read. Your real estate agent should be able to do this for you, but better you learn to do it yourself - so you don't buy a property having told your realtor you want to be able to have chickens, only to find that you can't.

Those are all relatively small properties for chicken ownership, I'm not surprised roosters are prohibited, and the rest is by special use only.

/edit and generally speaking, if you want a rooster (or chickens at all, in many places), you want either an AG district or an RA (Residential/Ag) border district, where they exist.

I live in FL, looked up your codes on my cell phone, and have no specific knowledge of AZ - I've driven few a few times, that is all.

Mesa, zone R-9 is residential, single family, lots of at least 9000 sq ft.
Keeping of livestock (such as chickens) on a lot less than 35,000 sq ft (as yours is) requires a Special Use Permit. No guarantees they will issue one (judging from the rest of the code, it seems highly likely they won't. (11-31-4) Even less likely a rooster would be permitted.

This is incorrect. That ordinance is in reference to commercial operations such as dairies. Up to ten birds are allowed on residential lots. HOAs may have tighter restrictions, but mine (Santa Rita) does not go above and beyond the city ordinance. This is less restrictive than some other places I've lived, for example one city required the coop placed x feet from the dwelling and I had to get an inspection and permit. Hooray AZ

8-6-21: - FOWL, RODENT, AND LIVESTOCK RESTRICTIONS

(A) Except as specified in Section 11-3-2, 11-3-3, and 11-4-3 of this Code, no more than a total of ten (10) rodents or fowl or a combination of rodents and fowl shall be kept upon the first one-half (½) acre or less; for each additional ten (10) head of rodents or fowl, an additional one-half (½) acre of land is required. For areas larger than two and one-half (2½) acres, the number of such rodents and fowl shall not be limited. (4845)

https://library.municode.com/az/mes...PUNUPRMANEPRANRE_ARTIVLILAANRE_8-6-21FOROLIRE

And it looks like roosters are allowed until someone complains? These are confusing.
Yeah that one got me too...usually if nothing else there's an ordinance against roos.
Although do first and ask questions later usually gets me in trouble, as far as I'm concerned an ordinance and HOA check is good enough. And, it doesn't hurt to give the neighbors a heads up they'll be getting some free eggs :0

Yeah that one got me too...usually if nothing else there's an ordinance against roos.
Although do first and ask questions later usually gets me in trouble, as far as I'm concerned an ordinance and HOA check is good enough. And, it doesn't hurt to give the neighbors a heads up they'll be getting some free eggs :0
I have that kind of luck, too. Free eggs and open communication goes a long way, though.

This is incorrect. That ordinance is in reference to commercial operations such as dairies. Up to ten birds are allowed on residential lots. HOAs may have tighter restrictions, but mine (Santa Rita) does not go above and beyond the city ordinance. This is less restrictive than some other places I've lived, for example one city required the coop placed x feet from the dwelling and I had to get an inspection and permit. Hooray AZ

8-6-21: - FOWL, RODENT, AND LIVESTOCK RESTRICTIONS

(A) Except as specified in Section 11-3-2, 11-3-3, and 11-4-3 of this Code, no more than a total of ten (10) rodents or fowl or a combination of rodents and fowl shall be kept upon the first one-half (½) acre or less; for each additional ten (10) head of rodents or fowl, an additional one-half (½) acre of land is required. For areas larger than two and one-half (2½) acres, the number of such rodents and fowl shall not be limited. (4845)

https://library.municode.com/az/mes...PUNUPRMANEPRANRE_ARTIVLILAANRE_8-6-21FOROLIRE
That's an *unusual* place to write a general exception into the Code. Not surprised I missed it, but it is good reason for reading the Code as a whole - something I frequently recommend. I'll confess apparent error in this case.

Back
Top Bottom