AZ Ducks

codyboyk

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 19, 2012
AZ
Hi all,

I live in AZ and was wondering if anyone else out there lives in AZ with ducks. What do you have for a coop what kind of feed have you found out here that is good and fresh and what about water?

Thanks

WelcometoBYC.gif

How old are your birds? I feed either flock raiser or Layer pellets. For water I just use a classic poultry waterer

Good question, I don't actually know. I found them at a local pond and believe they may have been late Easter ducklings that someone dumped. One of the ducklings had an egg tooth the other didn't. So I'm guessing not more then a week old. Right now they are getting chick mash (20% protein). I was wondering more about brands of feed. I went to pratts for a small amount since I only have two ducklings and I know they repackage their feed but I can't remember which brand.

Thanks

I raise Muscovy ducks. I keep them in a coop just like a chicken coop and let them out to run around the yard sometimes. I feed them flock raiser and vege scraps.

If you will post a picture we can probably (more than likely) tell you what breed they are. Not all ducks have the same requirements.

If you have ducklings I suggest getting them chick starter and supplementing their water with Niacin. Ducklings need 3 times as much Niacin as chicks.

Here is a picture I took of them yesterday. They are dark brown/black with black beak and black legs and feet. I was thinking cayuga as I did see a cayuga drake swimming around but no duck. It is possible they were hatched there at the lake but the duck was killed by a cat or dog in the neighborhood (there are a lot in that neighborhood). I do realize that cayugas are rare so it would be really weird that they were cayugas. They are also pictured as my avatar. I didn't know they needed so much Niacin... what is the % needed?

Last edited:
Ducklings 10 mg of Niacin per day. It works best to add 500mg per 8 gallons of water (at least 4 gallons is expected to be lost from playing in it).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom