Azure blue

Hi everyone ! I’m looking to add to my flock and I’m debating whether I’m going to hatch my own crested cream legbars or if I’m going to get a ready to lay from my local hatchery. I really want a blue layer. I can’t have any males due to our bylaws here. I don’t think I can get legbars from anywhere around here. I’ve checked a few hatcheries around here and it’s not listed as an option. There’s a part of me that wants to do the hatching and another part that doesn’t bc of having to wait for them to mature to integrate into my flock and then wait for the eggs.
The only blue layer we seem to have around here is azure blue. But when I try to find information about that breed I can’t really find anything specific. Is an azure blue a mix of blue layers ?
YOU can go and visit the University of Guelph they have information about the Azure Blue. Or call the hatchery where you bought them. I call Freys Hatchery in Ontario Canada where I just bought 20 for April delivery. Hope this helps.

YOU can go and visit the University of Guelph they have information about the Azure Blue. Or call the hatchery where you bought them. I call Freys Hatchery in Ontario Canada where I just bought 20 for April delivery. Hope this helps.
University of Guelph has a chicken research program there they post their research for public viewing

University of Guelph has a chicken research program that they post their research for public viewing.

I purchased 2 Azure blue Ready to Lay hens from Frey's hatchery (St. Jacobs, ON). I've had them for 3 weeks and were laying from the first day we've had them. 6 eggs / week from each. Eggs are very good and baby blue shells from both. Mostly white with some specks of dark feathers in a couple areas. One has a giant comb that partially flops over one eye. Like SarahDawn - ours have escaped a few times and are very timid , they run away from every movement. - haven't been able to get them to come close even with seed treats in my hand - the 2 older chickens (Red-X and Barred Rock) were much more calm when we received them. They are slowly integrating with the other 2, but they don't seem to be the types of chickens to hang out with you while you do the chores. Time will tell.
Nice. I can't wait to get mine! Be patient they'll come around.

Just wanted to add that I also have Azure layers from Freys. They are very flighty and do have very large combs. I love their beautiful blue eggs but do not love their personalities or combs. I'm thinking of breeding them to a rooster with a small comb...I realize I cant assume their offspring would have blue or green eggs, since they are created with leghorns who are white egg layers.

My leghorns and blue azures are near identical...slightly different coloured legs and the smallest bit of grey leakage. Passing by I cant tell them apart.

Just wanted to add that I also have Azure layers from Freys. They are very flighty and do have very large combs. I love their beautiful blue eggs but do not love their personalities or combs. I'm thinking of breeding them to a rooster with a small comb...I realize I cant assume their offspring would have blue or green eggs, since they are created with leghorns who are white egg layers.

My leghorns and blue azures are near identical...slightly different coloured legs and the smallest bit of grey leakage. Passing by I cant tell them apart.

Maybe use one of the pure breed blue egg layer ROOSTERS?

An interesting find. I crossed my azure layers (from Frey's) with my light brahma rooster and the chicks are silvery grey with lighter tummies. Looking nothing like the azure layers did as chicks or light brahma!
I think crossing them to a pure bred egg laying breed WITH BRAINS MIGHT HELP. My Azure's are too flighty! Not a very enjoyable bird. The eggs are nice, good size large or X large. They free range and forage very nicely. They also come to treat call very well. Just that dang flightiness is off the charts. Next time I won't purchase this cross.
Are Leghorns crazy flighty as well?

I think crossing them to a pure bred egg laying breed WITH BRAINS MIGHT HELP. My Azure's are too flighty! Not a very enjoyable bird. The eggs are nice, good size large or X large. They free range and forage very nicely. They also come to treat call very well. Just that dang flightiness is off the charts. Next time I won't purchase this cross.
Are Leghorns crazy flighty as well?
My leghorns are just as flighty as my azure layers. I'm hoping that crossing them with brahma will make for some decent, more relaxed hen! My half brahma/half barred rocks ladies are incredibly sweet and don't mind me being around.

Back
Top Bottom