Azure blue

I have 22 azures (started with 24 6weeks olds from Frey’s). While they are a bit flighty if you have them in a comfy enclosure they have done well the larger combs did get some frost bite but I get down to -50°C and they have since healed fine from it. I also have 4 red sex links that are slightly older by maybe a month or two. They produce amazing egg quality and much different than the red sex links eggs. Almost sweeter? Rich yolk. They love to come get treats and my daughter can catch a few of them to hold. I do love them

I just bought a few Azure blues from Frey’s 2 weeks ago. We bought them as day olds and they are so friendly when they are little. They are usually the first ones to come and investigate what’s in our hands. I wonder why they get so skittish later on?

*edited to add photos

1619268954300.jpeg

1619268991370.jpeg

1619269014522.jpeg

Last edited:
I just bought a few Azure blues from Frey’s 2 weeks ago. We bought them as day olds and they are so friendly when they are little. They are usually the first ones to come and investigate what’s in our hands. I wonder why they get so skittish later on?

*edited to add photos

View attachment 2632858
View attachment 2632859
View attachment 2632860
They are cute. I got mine as pullets so they were raised in a big barn with not much human activity I ASSUME! I would think handle them often and maybe hand feed them quite a bit. That hopefully will make them less flighty. They do lay beautiful pale blue eggs that are large or extra large. They also forage very good. I believe they are also quite aware of danger from hawks etc. My 6 birds 4 Azures and 2 brown sex links ganged up on a cat a couple times that I saw. They actually charged the cat in sequence, it was pretty funny to see. One of my Azure's has spurs about 3/8 of an inch long.

They are cute. I got mine as pullets so they were raised in a big barn with not much human activity I ASSUME! I would think handle them often and maybe hand feed them quite a bit. That hopefully will make them less flighty. They do lay beautiful pale blue eggs that are large or extra large. They also forage very good. I believe they are also quite aware of danger from hawks etc. My 6 birds 4 Azures and 2 brown sex links ganged up on a cat a couple times that I saw. They actually charged the cat in sequence, it was pretty funny to see. One of my Azure's has spurs about 3/8 of an inch long.
Thanks for the tip. The Azure blues are my 13 year old daughter’s birds. She is currently watching a movie with one sleeping in her hand- they are getting lots of love. That’s so funny that they charged the cat in sequence, good entertainment!

Hi in May I got azure blue chick's from freys hatchery, I love them ,they are very friendly if you raise from chick's! They follow me everywhere! They lay 6 days a week amazing! We call them the four rascals cause they do fly over the fence but stay on my property thank goodness...

Love my 4 azure blue chicken's, I raised from chick's....very friendly, follow me everywhere and run to me when they see me coming. They are very agile . I would get more!

I think crossing them to a pure bred egg laying breed WITH BRAINS MIGHT HELP. My Azure's are too flighty! Not a very enjoyable bird. The eggs are nice, good size large or X large. They free range and forage very nicely. They also come to treat call very well. Just that dang flightiness is off the charts. Next time I won't purchase this cross.
Are Leghorns crazy flighty as well?
My azure blues lay medium sized eggs at best! Everything I read and researched said they laid large eggs but mine are quite small compared to my large - jumbo sized brown eggs. The birds themselves are small and flighty- we call them the speed chickens. No problem with feed or anything as they get later feed, free choice oyster shells , and free range on 20 acres. What am I doing wrong! :(

Back
Top Bottom