Azure chicken post-salpingitis nice egg with no shell. Causes?

MorningGlory747

Hatching
May 23, 2023
Two weeks ago, my SO and I noticed that one of our chickens wasn't feeling well. It turned out to be a case of a lash egg, and consequently salpingitis. We began treatment with antibiotics on the day we discovered it, and we have been continuing the treatment since then (as instructed, for a two-week period). Since starting the treatment, she has been feeling much better, but we have observed that she is resting more than the other chickens. Additionally, we have noticed that she has produced two egg yolks that appear normal but with absolutely zero egg shells. The most recent egg was laid a couple of hours ago while we were administering the antibiotic. Does anyone have any insights into what might be happening? It is evident that salpingitis is a contributing factor, but we are struggling to understand the underlying reasons and mechanisms.

Welcome To BYC

Do you have photos of the eggs and her poop?
What antibiotic are you giving her?

Salpingitis is inflammation of the oviduct caused by bacterial or viral infection. This will affect the whole reproductive system which includes the shell gland which produces the shell on the egg.
I'd work on giving her extra Calcium for a week to see if that helps. It may be that her shell gland has suffered damage from infection and needs time to heal and recover. It's possible that she may never be able to form a shell again. Very hard to know.

You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give 1 tablet daily, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.

You may find the video below helpful in understanding the reproductive system - how it works anyway.

Welcome To BYC

Do you have photos of the eggs and her poop?
What antibiotic are you giving her?

Salpingitis is inflammation of the oviduct caused by bacterial or viral infection. This will affect the whole reproductive system which includes the shell gland which produces the shell on the egg.
I'd work on giving her extra Calcium for a week to see if that helps. It may be that her shell gland has suffered damage from infection and needs time to heal and recover. It's possible that she may never be able to form a shell again. Very hard to know.

You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give 1 tablet daily, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.

You may find the video below helpful in understanding the reproductive system - how it works anyway.
This is an incredible video.

OP said antibiotics have been going for 2 weeks, is there a time they should consider stopping those?

This is an incredible video.

OP said antibiotics have been going for 2 weeks, is there a time they should consider stopping those?
👇I would assume they are following whatever instructions they received by(?Vet?) I don't know. That's why I asked what antibiotic in my post. Also assume that after the 2wks are up, the course would be finished....🤷‍♀️
We began treatment with antibiotics on the day we discovered it, and we have been continuing the treatment since then (as instructed, for a two-week period).

Back
Top Bottom