B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

Does anyone in western Canada sell dorkings?
welcome-byc.gif
I am not sure. Hopefully someone will chime in. I think there is a facebook group on Dorkings too. You might also look there.

well, a successful hatching season is finally under way, better late than never! my rooster was on winter vacation apparently, until about 3 weeks ago! I've got about 20 chicks hatched so far, with more in the incubator due over the next couple weeks, and more going in as I get them.

I'm incubating from 3 pens, my silver greys, the reds and the colored, which is kind of mis-named but closest description to apply. I have one (UK style) dark hen (silver based) with a golden rooster (split silver) and an oddly colored girl that is descended from a Sandhill colored girl, nicknamed Tannish (this one is Tannish2). those chicks are going to be monitored to see what colors develop, more as test breeding to see what they carry, more than anything else.

When is a typical time period for Dorkings to start laying? I anticipate that they will probably start at six months, but my little sixteen week olds have been making a nuisance of themselves digging in the nesting boxes. Their combs are pale and very small still. Maybe since this is their first week in with"the big chickens," perhaps they feel protected in the boxes. What do you all think?

Last edited:
When is a typical time period for Dorkings to start laying? I anticipate that they will probably start at six months, but my little sixteen week olds have been making a nuisance of themselves digging in the nesting boxes. Their combs are pale and very small still. Maybe since this is their first week in with"the big chickens," perhaps they feel protected in the boxes. What do you all think?

my own girls typically start around 5 months or so. some of the mcmurray girls started as soon as 18 weeks.

Well I'm no expert in the breed nonetheless I really like my silver grey. This is my SG at 4 weeks old in my mixed flock. Since they are italian in origin the kids named her Giada after the chef who cooks italian on the food network. Other than the BPR and BO she is easily the most friendly.

My Colored Dorkings from Sand Hill laid surprisingly early, 4 to 5 months. They laid tiny little 1 to 1.25 ounce eggs. Now at about 7 months the eggs are 1.25 to 1.5 ounces. I'm hoping that they get bigger. I think the fact they they were hatched at the end of Sept and Oct last year started them laying a little too soon.

Dear Puddin Fluff,
I have already asked there. I also wrote a couple of emails to South African poultry clubs. Till now to no avail!

So sorry. You might also try facebook. I know there are many folks in the states who set up poultry clubs on facebook too. I hope you have some luck. They are a wonderful breed and do need to be worked.

Back
Top Bottom