B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

Pics
Quote:
SOOO? How did they do? Does she like them?
pop.gif

Absolutely no problem. Was a good match. One little Le Fleche isn't doing well but I think it is because he wasn't super healthy to begin with... Others are great and LOVE their mommas.

Quote:
I'm not an expert, but sometimes a bird is genetically 5 toed and only has 4 toes. The fourth usually looks like a fifth toe. I've seen it on an adult and it looked just like that. I would say that that bird is likely genetically 5 toed and would breed offspring with 5 toes but for some reason phenotypically only expressed the 4 toes. Interesting pics.

Any other thoughts?

I also breed silkies. My first cull is always for 4 toed chicks, the second is for improper separation, third for not enough foot feathering, fourth for split-wing - but I think that's more of a silkie issue. That's at hatch to 4 weeks old. Then you have to wait for type, proper feathering, etc.

Personally, I won't breed a four toed Silkie, but might try to fix it given the rarity of the Dorking. What color are they? The breeder told you they have weird toes?

I hate to be a pain -- but can you post bigger pics? You might not have selected the largest size while uploading them.

edited because I'm not thinking straight!!!

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm not an expert, but sometimes a bird is genetically 5 toed and only has 4 toes. The fourth usually looks like a fifth toe. I've seen it on an adult and it looked just like that. I would say that that bird is likely genetically 5 toed and would breed offspring with 5 toes but for some reason phenotypically only expressed the 4 toes. Interesting pics.

Any other thoughts?

I also breed silkies. My first cull is always for 4 toed chicks, the second is for improper separation, third for not enough foot feathering, fourth for split-wing - but I think that's more of a silkie issue. That's at hatch to 4 weeks old. Then you have to wait for type, proper feathering, etc.

Personally, I won't breed a five toed Silkie, but might try to fix it given the rarity of the Dorking. What color are they? The breeder told you they have weird toes?

I hate to be a pain -- but can you post bigger pics? You might not have selected the largest size while uploading them.

Is this right?
wink.png

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

Quote:

Personally, I won't breed a five toed Silkie, but might try to fix it given the rarity of the Dorking. What color are they? The breeder told you they have weird toes?

Is this right?
wink.png

LOL!!!
FOUR!!!!!! I only breed 5 toed silkies!!!

Thanks Tori! Had a rough day - my diabetic daughter had to be picked up from college today because the morons in the health center (she went in for a female issue) tried to force her to go to the hospital for a blood sugar that could easily be managed without hospitalization! Poor kid has had juvenile diabetes for a decade & knows when she's in danger --- she wasn't! So mama lion had to drive 3 hours each way to save her from the creepy nurses. Within an hour, her sugar was dropping & it was normal by the time I got there.
idunno.gif

Sorry --- I had to spew!

My new additions, 6 SGD's hatched late afternoon the 20th - mid morning the 21st

78358_1a.jpg

78358_1b.jpg

78358_1c.jpg

78358_1d.jpg

I'm thinking 3 boys and 3 girls??? Pic 1 looks like 4 & 2 but pic 3 shows what I think are the girls, the 3 on the right.

yep, some times I see 3 of each and at other I see 4 & 2 either way I'm, glad I have a couple pullets in the bunch. One of the boys has one four a toed foot and one five toed..... kinda strange. This is the first five toed anything I've hatched, my daughter thought the five toes was kinda alien looking...Ha!

Back
Top Bottom