B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

DD's shifting her focus to a different breed, and since I'm too tied up with the baby to keep a breeding program going we're going to take a break from Dorkings for a while. We'll add the girls to the laying flock, but our cockerel Fearless will need to go in order to make way for the new big man on campus. I'll probably sell him on Craigslist, but before I do I wanted to offer him to anyone here who might want him for their breeding flock. He was the best of last year's boys, and his feet look pretty good. I'll happily give him away to a fellow Dorking breeder in the interest of keeping the breed going here on the East Coast. Sorry I can't ship though. Here are a couple of pics from a few months ago:

We just ordered a GQF MFG 1500 Digital Professional Cabinet Incubator. This year we'll use the reptipro for a small hatcher until we need something bigger. Should be here mid next week. So we'll be hatching before April. Once we are finished hatching what we need we might do white chicks and eggs. Chicks will be pick up only. First everything has to work though haha. Wish me luck........

DD's shifting her focus to a different breed, and since I'm too tied up with the baby to keep a breeding program going we're going to take a break from Dorkings for a while. We'll add the girls to the laying flock, but our cockerel Fearless will need to go in order to make way for the new big man on campus. I'll probably sell him on Craigslist, but before I do I wanted to offer him to anyone here who might want him for their breeding flock. He was the best of last year's boys, and his feet look pretty good. I'll happily give him away to a fellow Dorking breeder in the interest of keeping the breed going here on the East Coast. Sorry I can't ship though. Here are a couple of pics from a few months ago:

my sg girls are not decent stock....layer quality only, which is why I am trying to shift my focus to reds...but this is seriously tempting me.

We just ordered a GQF MFG 1500 Digital Professional Cabinet Incubator. This year we'll use the reptipro for a small hatcher until we need something bigger. Should be here mid next week. So we'll be hatching before April. Once we are finished hatching what we need we might do white chicks and eggs. Chicks will be pick up only. First everything has to work though haha. Wish me luck........

Good luck
smile.png

For those of you who vaccinate for Marek's, what do you do when you have staggered hatches or when chicks hatch a day or two apart? I know the mixed vaccine needs to be used within one hour, so do you just buy several $15 bottles or do you somehow break up the wafer and reconstitute it bit by bit as you need it? And if you do that, HOW do you do it?

For those of you who vaccinate for Marek's, what do you do when you have staggered hatches or when chicks hatch a day or two apart? I know the mixed vaccine needs to be used within one hour, so do you just buy several $15 bottles or do you somehow break up the wafer and reconstitute it bit by bit as you need it? And if you do that, HOW do you do it?
you don't absolutely have to vaccinate on day 1... so if you're hatching lots of chicks, i'd say do them all at once, or once every couple weeks. mareks doesn't usually start being an issue before 8-12 weeks, so as long as they're vaccinated before then you should be ok.

personally, i don't vaccinate. my first year i lost some chicks to it, but the remaining birds seem to be resistant, which is something i'd rather breed. resistance seems to be inherited.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom