B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

Quote: actually black dorkings have dusky legs, but they're still pink based and the soles of their feet are still pink... there's a separate gene that adds true black skin pigment to the legs, which isn't present in the dorkings.

the sex-linked mutations are shown as X/X or X/- most often in chickens, X being the sex linked mutation in question. the roosters are X/X, the hens X/- and the determiner of sex in the chicks.

the sex linked mutations are some of the easiest to understand IMO. a rooster can be 'split' but a hen HAS to show it, if she carries it. they are barred (B), silver (S) and chocolate (ch).

actually other mutations cause the black skin, beak and leg pigment...  extended black increases the melanistic pigment (black/blue) across the entire feather. only a few mutations can affect extended black. they are barred (alternates pigment with a lack of pigment, creating the barred look to the feather), mottled, causes a white tip on each feather, and white. either dominant or recessive, which removes all other pigments from the feathers.

if you look at my signature line, you'll see an article I wrote on genetics of chickens. if you read through that, it might explain some of the mutations a bit more easily.

Glad I saw this Karen! I believe I have a hen that matches this description! She is a SG. The white tips on her feathers did not my show up until her second molt. I kept trying to figure out which hen .was producing offspring with a few white feathrs in the cockerels chest with sooty coloring on their white legs. I think I now know! I'll try to get a picture of her for you when the weather clears up. SNOW!!!

Last edited:
Quote: purebred sg dorkings should NOT carry mottled... as for the cockerels, if you can, wait until they're 6 months or better to determine the coloration. baby feathers can and usually do change.

Boy? Doesn't act like a boy. 9 weeks.

Ki4got, this is his/her EE half sister

yup. the roo always has a black (or mostly black, sometimes a bit of white tips) breast. the pullet will have a salmon breast, like your EE girl.
but your boy is not correct for a silver grey, he's got red in his wing and saddle feathers. he looks like a product of a silver grey x red cross.

purebred sg dorkings should NOT carry mottled... as for the cockerels, if you can, wait until they're 6 months or better to determine the coloration. baby feathers can and usually do change.

yup. the roo always has a black (or mostly black, sometimes a bit of white tips) breast. the pullet will have a salmon breast, like your EE girl.
but your boy is not correct for a silver grey, he's got red in his wing and saddle feathers. he looks like a product of a silver grey x red cross.

That's what I suspected. The point at hatch was so promising for a girl, but the feathers came in boy. These are the eggs I got from you in September, that's why I wanted to show you the EE girl she was one of the bonus eggs. She's so pretty.

Quote:
ok... I think that's when I had a couple of the red girls in the pen also? that would make sense of the red/silver roo...

LOL on the EE girl... I was thinking she looked a lot like some of my ee chicks have. hehe

are they the only ones that hatched? if so, sorry you didn't get any dorking girls. I still owe some eggs to people who bought just as the birds all quit at once, but then I might have some more available once my incubators are full, if you want to try again. my 2 best red girls are with a red roo now, and i'll be setting my silver greys up, 1 roo to 3 girls, at least until I have more pens set up, then i'll have 2 pens going for them, with my second roo and 3 more girls.

either that or I leave the sg roos and hens loose and lock up all the other roos. LOL that might actually be easier, if they didn't hide the eggs that is.

and looking at the ee pullet, I suspect this is her momma...

if she's got 5 toes, then my primary sg roo is the sire. the other one is by my other sg roo who was penned all fall with the girls. so they're not related at all, other than by breed of the sire. I never had any ee's in the pen with the second roo, just free ranging with the first.

my primary sg roo is 'big guy' and the second roo is one that was given to me last summer when his owner died (with his girls too). since then I have thinned the ranks of big guy and new guy's girls and whittled it down to the best 6 among them (had 14 at one point, if I remember right).

Last edited:
ok... I think that's when I had a couple of the red girls in the pen also? that would make sense of the red/silver roo...

LOL on the EE girl... I was thinking she looked a lot like some of my ee chicks have. hehe

are they the only ones that hatched? if so, sorry you didn't get any dorking girls. I still owe some eggs to people who bought just as the birds all quit at once, but then I might have some more available once my incubators are full, if you want to try again. my 2 best red girls are with a red roo now, and i'll be setting my silver greys up, 1 roo to 3 girls, at least until I have more pens set up, then i'll have 2 pens going for them, with my second roo and 3 more girls.

either that or I leave the sg roos and hens loose and lock up all the other roos. LOL that might actually be easier, if they didn't hide the eggs that is.

and looking at the ee pullet, I suspect this is her momma...

if she's got 5 toes, then my primary sg roo is the sire. the other one is by my other sg roo who was penned all fall with the girls. so they're not related at all, other than by breed of the sire. I never had any ee's in the pen with the second roo, just free ranging with the first.

my primary sg roo is 'big guy' and the second roo is one that was given to me last summer when his owner died (with his girls too). since then I have thinned the ranks of big guy and new guy's girls and whittled it down to the best 6 among them (had 14 at one point, if I remember right).
This is an SG Dorking X Wheaten Amearucana.She lays a very pretty blue egg. She was hatched from shipped eggs--I did not cross them. It was an error from the Breeder:

This is an SG Dorking X Wheaten Amearucana.She lays a very pretty blue egg. She was hatched from shipped eggs--I did not cross them. It was an error from the Breeder:

when I sent her the sg eggs, I included extras plus a couple EE eggs (from my free ranging bunch) too, because I had a couple reds that were trying to be 'wild broodies' and that pen was the only place to put them... thus the sg roo with red on his wings and the EE/dorking cross.

@ki4got ... the black breast thing, does that mean my darling Dorcus here is a roo-in-training? If so, either someone is getting caponized, or Lord Dingwald will need to be rehomed.

Back
Top Bottom