B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

yeah...that's what it looks like to me, too.  2 boys and 2 girls.

the breed is very friendly if you acustom them to human contact.  best personalities of almost all my chickens.  laid back and interested in what you are doing.  congrats on your new babies!

Thank you. They qre seriously out pacing my Sumatras and of course/the banties. Whwt is their adult weight? I know they qre heavies. Will they be bigger than my Fqvorelles?

Quote:
Like most of the rare dual purpose breeds, Dorkings have not been selected to keep up with the breed standard for size and frame, and too often are selected by feather color or some other characteristic that has little to do with their farm utility. The ideal Dorking rooster in the U.S would be 9-10 pounds, and the ideal hen would be 7-8 pounds, but very few ever reach that size. Most will be 1-3 pounds lighter. The British standards are slightly heavier.

How do I enter the color of a red dorking in a chicken color calculator?
If you've got the American version of the Red Dorking, the color is red duckwing, which I think is the wild type on the calculator, but I may be wrong. The British have a few different Red Dorkings, as does Craig Russell, so if you've got some of those birds you'd need to post pictures for us to help you.

Last edited:
They are Horstman reds, so red duckwing it is!
smile.png
but that color is not on the calculator ...
sad.png

If red duckwing is the wild type, then that's where the calculator starts, and all other colors are modifications that have to be added. So you shouldn't need to make any changes for Red Dorkings. (At least that's how I think it works.)

Back
Top Bottom