B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

Quote: I guess this is the internet version of letters crossing in the mail. You were uploading as I was typing. Yes, an odd comb, and I don't know if it's me being sleep deprived or the picture, but I just can't get a good feeling for exactly what it looks like. It almost looks a bit like a floppy crown in the first picture. He does have 5 toes, and his color is very much red duckwing. He somewhat looks like he has a more elongated than round body, which would be typical of a Dorking, but honestly I just can't tell from those particular pictures. Perhaps others on the thread will be more decisive. Sorry. Some additional pictures would help.

Sorry FallingSkies, he's not a dorking... Dorkings have white skin, 5 toes, no feathers on the legs and single combs. rose comb reds are not standardized but some prefer them. here's a pic of a white dorking with a rose comb (the only way whites are allowed). These are Joseph's birds (Yellow House Farm).

if you missed them, go back and read my previous posts.

Last edited:
Geez, I am tired! I kept looking at the feet thinking there was something really odd about them, and didn't even realize that the "oddness" was that they were black instead of white!!! I have a better excuse for not noticing the feathers -- they're slightly out of focus and blend in with the background.

Hopefully I can now contribute something intelligent -- I don't know about roosters specifically, but Silkie mix hens are often much larger than pure Silkies, so I would imagine the roosters would be also. Silkie mix hens are highly desirable and sometimes specifically bred for people who want them for natural brooding. They retain many of the physical features of the Silkie, such as dark skin, five toes, feathered feet, etc, and still have the brooding instinct of a silkie, but don't have the silkie feathers (which many people don't like), and can cover as many eggs as a large fowl. I knew someone that custom bred them. She had several different breeds of hens, and several Silkie roosters. She didn't put the rooster in the breeding pens until someone requested a particular cross, then he was put in for one week, the eggs were collected for up to three weeks, and sent to the person requesting the particular cross once weekly or twice weekly until the customer had as many eggs as they wanted. The hens were not bred again for at least 6 weeks after the last breeding, just to be sure all the previous sperm had cleared, in case she got another special order. She didn't have many customers, but it was a niche business that worked out great for her, since all her birds were pets that she was going to be keeping anyway, and this just required a little custom management. She was quite elderly and has since passed away, but those Silkie mixes were the best broodies ever, and much larger than purebred Silkies.

Last edited:
Thanks I am really appreciating thus site abd trying to learn all. Ask me about big farm animals and I am great . But going to small ones is new. He is friendly and very pretty. But that comb I couldnt fugure out.

Hi All,

I am NOT a show breeder... I'm in fact not even a breeder. ...

So I was curious, how do you know if you've got good stock? I KNOW what people say about hatcheries, but everyone has to start somewhere! I wish there was some way to find out where Meyer gets their silver grey dorkings. Is that classified info, or would they be glad to tell me?

I'm new to all this... but I really want to learn about this breed. I have been so impressed with them. I don't think people really appreciate what awesome birds they are.

Here's pictures of the four birds I have... can you tell which are pullets and which are cockerels yet? The first pictures are of the one that I think is a male.

hello! i am looking for healthy day-old dorking chicks that can be shipped to california (or i can drive if they aren't more than an hour or so from santa barbara). color isn't too important, though i really do like the silver greys. i am not going to be breeding, really just need a couple of healthy girls for my backyard flock. thanks in advance for any assistance! : )
jumpy.gif

hello! i am looking for healthy day-old dorking chicks that can be shipped to california (or i can drive if they aren't more than an hour or so from santa barbara). color isn't too important, though i really do like the silver greys. i am not going to be breeding, really just need a couple of healthy girls for my backyard flock. thanks in advance for any assistance! : )
jumpy.gif

I won't ship day olds, but I will ship started youngsters when I have them available... I've got some eggs in the incubator that are already spoken for, but can always set more. 8)

jumpy.gif

CapayValleyChick is in Guinda CA. She posts on this thread regularly. I don't know if she has chicks, or ships chicks, but if not she may know someone who can help you. You can PM (private message) her through BYC. Just go to the upper right area of this page. You'll see your BYC name. Just to the left of your BYC name you'll see the words "Private Messages." Click on that, which will take you to your private message page. On that page, on the upper left side, directly under the words "Private Messages" is a place to click "Compose New.." Click there, and you'll get a page that looks a lot like an e-mail form. Just type in CapayValleyChick where you would normally put an e-mail address, then fill in the form with your message.

Good luck in your search.

Back
Top Bottom