B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

Where do they determine this? Are Dorkings more common in other countries then the USA?

where do they determine what? the Standard of Perfection? that was established when the breed was accepted by the APA. for silver greys, that was back in the 1800s I think? reds it was around 1975. they used the existing size standard but added the color variety. my years may be off, but when the breed is entered in the standard, the birds exhibited at that time have to meet it to qualify.

Thanks!! I'll check it out!
1f60a.png

It just seems like the people who have them have a hard time competing with the Standard of perfection. I guess I don't understand why it's so hard to find a good show bird in America or in my case eggs or chicks . I am wondering where you can find good show quality silvers and reds.
Im willing to pay!!
1f606.png

Silver, silver Gray and SG Dorkings are all the same breed, just different names. Kim has very nice ones--some of the best in the US.
Thank you Ron, that's so nice of you to say. I don't like to say best. There are several serious breeders of SGDs that are working hard to improve them.

"show quality" is likely going to be an even harder find, but you can find breeders working towards that goal. I've been at it for a number of years now, and while I like the type I'm getting, they're still not up to SOP weights.
I agree. If you are looking for Dorkings that are going to win at shows, they don't exist. Or, very few exist and the owners of them aren't going to let them go. There are breeders who are breeding toward the standard and making progress, improving every year. The term "show quality" means different things to different people. Some breeders think it means birds that don't have disqualifications. Those exist.

1f60a.png

It just seems like the people who have them have a hard time competing with the Standard of perfection. I guess I don't understand why it's so hard to find a good show bird in America or in my case eggs or chicks . I am wondering where you can find good show quality silvers and reds.
Im willing to pay!!
1f606.png
The Dorking was neglected by serious breeders for a very long time. The old breeders either died or stopped breeding them. New breeders bought inferior hatchery stock because that was the only place to get them. That's why Dorkings that meet the standard are so hard to find at this time. It's not a question of money.
This is also the wrong time of year to get birds from good breeders. Go to the Dorking Club website. Contact breeders and ask to get on their waiting list. If you don't have patience, this is not the breed for you. If you are on Facebook, join the Dorking groups there. That will help in your search.

Thank you Ron, that's so nice of you to say. I don't like to say best. There are several serious breeders of SGDs that are working hard to improve them.

I agree. If you are looking for Dorkings that are going to win at shows, they don't exist. Or, very few exist and the owners of them aren't going to let them go. There are breeders who are breeding toward the standard and making progress, improving every year. The term "show quality" means different things to different people. Some breeders think it means birds that don't have disqualifications. Those exist.

The Dorking was neglected by serious breeders for a very long time. The old breeders either died or stopped breeding them. New breeders bought inferior hatchery stock because that was the only place to get them. That's why Dorkings that meet the standard are so hard to find at this time. It's not a question of money.
This is also the wrong time of year to get birds from good breeders. Go to the Dorking Club website. Contact breeders and ask to get on their waiting list. If you don't have patience, this is not the breed for you. If you are on Facebook, join the Dorking groups there. That will help in your search.

Ok, it all makes sense now. I didn't realized what was going on. Thanks for your time in explaining all this!
I'm actually very patient on this breed. I don't want to rush and get them. I want to know I'm getting them from a good source. :) I will go on the breeders club and ask to be put on a wait list :)

Thank you!!!

1f60a.png

Im willing to pay!!
1f606.png
the problem is that there's not enough people breeding them seriously enough IMO. over the last 3 years I've managed to increase my overall weights but they're not to standard yet.

If you don't have patience, this is not the breed for you.
isn't that the truth! they are slow growing for one, so culling early is not a good thing. if someone's culling early, you probably don't want what they're selling! the only thing I cull for that early tho are foot issues, and this year I'm ignoring feet, hoping to get more size. feet can be fixed down the road as long as they all have 5 toes.

So I have a question. With all the talk of not culling early. What is a good age to cull? The reason I ask is that I don't want to cull early as I wish to improve the breed by my actions but I also wish to use the bird for its dual purpose. I have just started so my idea is to save out the best but use the extra males to fill my freezer. The pullets I can wait longer without affecting purpose since the ones that don't quite fit the bill can go to the laying pen. I know that with my original flock, the males definitely showed some differences at 26 weeks to get a feel for how they were going to fill out but they have continued to fill out since then. Out of 6 boys, with some help, we were able to determine the best three. Two stayed with me and the third went back to the breeder to help continue the line. My pullets are just getting old enough to start to hatch the next generation but with both Roosters and Pullets young I am not ready to measure the hatch rate, especially with my dismal hatch rates on a good day. If I can get another 1/2 dozen I will be happy and hope that next year I will be able to have many more.

You can cull any weak chicks or any with obvious disqualifications right away. I let the males grow to butcher size, which can be anywhere between 5-7 months, depending on the weight that you prefer.

You do what you can do, with your infrastructure and resources. Look at them at hatch, for the initial obvious culls. You can evaluate them every month. Or, evaluate again around 5 months, then 7 months, then at a year. I don't do a big cull all at once.

It's an ongoing process. But, that's what works for me.

I save the best 4 males and 12 females for the following year.

Back
Top Bottom