B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

Pics
Silver Grey Dorkings can be sexed at birth by their coloring...
wink.png
Feathersite has a good picture of a boy/girl side by side.

Quote:
I've been working on Creves for a few years. My original stock was a pair I bought from someone here in Washington State who successfully showed the pair. I bought them as he wanted to concentrate on other breeds. As far as risking Sandhill, I just wanted some outside blood...

I did manage to find a breeder online who I traded eggs with--I have one hold back cockerel and two holdback pullets I'm hoping to be able to use. Although she admitted hers have white earlobes--so we'll see if I end up keeping any of them. I've been having trouble keeping their beards in good shape--I've tried a few different waterers and I think the pop bottle are my best bet but it's too hot to risk them running out of water over maintaining their beards!

My Creves have good size, wide bodies & stance and pink earlobes. They lay pretty well (HUGE, chalk-white eggs) and they are funny chickens! VERY sweet, though I did have to cull a rooster in the past who was dubbed the MATRIX ROO! LOL I'll see if I can get some decent pics of my molting birds! I won't hi-jack here but I'll post a link to another thread...

So if anyone has white rose comb Dorkings and they're will to ship me eggs in the next week or so--please PM me! I can Pay Pal right away! I have a broody hen sitting on fake eggs right now!

Quote:
Well, first of all, he's 16 weeks which makes him a bit gangly--A-OK. I liken a week in chicken life to a year of human life. 16 year olds are all feet, nose and bones--so are 16 week old Dorkings. 24 year olds are a different story. The same goes for 24 week old Dorkings.

Still his legs seem high. I can't see his comb well enough to say anything. His color seems generally correct and is, of course, still in its development. His toes seem OK. The 4th and 5th toes are supposed to be in no way attached, but I have found that this is easier said than done.

If this is the beginning of a project, you have to begin somewhere, and he doesn't look like a bad beginning. Let's check him out in another month
wink.png

Quote:
Well, first of all, he's 16 weeks which makes him a bit gangly--A-OK. I liken a week in chicken life to a year of human life. 16 year olds are all feet, nose and bones--so are 16 week old Dorkings. 24 year olds are a different story. The same goes for 24 week old Dorkings.

Still his legs seem high. I can't see his comb well enough to say anything. His color seems generally correct and is, of course, still in its development. His toes seem OK. The 4th and 5th toes are supposed to be in no way attached, but I have found that this is easier said than done.

If this is the beginning of a project, you have to begin somewhere, and he doesn't look like a bad beginning. Let's check him out in another month
wink.png

I concur, especially on the leg part. Dorkings should be squatter than that, but give him time. Leg color looks good.

Quote:

wink.png

Thanks for the help! Yes this is a beginning, and he was the best of the two roosters I got. I have found that it is not easy to get this color and breed in a rose comb. I will post another picture as he gets older!

Back
Top Bottom