B.Y.C. Dorking Club!

Pics
Quote:
Heather, email me at my yahoo account and I will send information on the only two folks listed in the brand new SPPA Breeder's Directory who have the white Dorkings and say that they will ship eggs. Though as risky as eggs can be it might put you farther ahead to have some birds sent but either way I am happy to forward the information if you'd like. One thing I have found too; the breeders we know about are sometimes, fortunately, just the tip of the iceberg. People network and share info, stock etc. with likeminded folks so you may end up with more help than you need.
big_smile.png
[email protected]

Quote:
When my daughter was quite young she'd go sit in the grass with apple pieces. Dorkings of all ages literally crawled all over her even after the treats were done. They are not stupid tame - just seem smart enough to like people rather than avoid them.

Quote:
Our own Dorkings worked over a piece of ground as thoroughly as any good foraging fowl would. The legs are short but very sound and strong. And in spite of size and easy dispositions they are not lazy. No, I'd not allow them in with young vegetables or anything that could be flattened or scratched up.
hmm.png

Quote:
Heather, email me at my yahoo account and I will send information on the only two folks listed in the brand new SPPA Breeder's Directory who have the white Dorkings and say that they will ship eggs. Though as risky as eggs can be it might put you farther ahead to have some birds sent but either way I am happy to forward the information if you'd like. One thing I have found too; the breeders we know about are sometimes, fortunately, just the tip of the iceberg. People network and share info, stock etc. with likeminded folks so you may end up with more help than you need.
big_smile.png
[email protected]

Marvelous....thank you! I'll send ya an email!

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

6-8 months is what I've seen on the laying. They're a little slower to develop.
There should be NO feathers on the toes, and NO green legs. Dorkings are known for their white skin and clean legs... and that fifth toe!... so I would not keep those for the breeding program.
Would you be able to post some photos (side shots) of the birds you got? I've toyed with ordering some from SH, but haven't yet...

I'd be happy to, perhaps Friday I can get some current photos...I was looking at them again today, and maybe they aren't as small as I thought...I have so little experience with chickens in general and the slower-maturing heritage breeds in particular. But I do have experience with Newfoundland dogs, and talk about slow maturing...!Some aren't truly mature until five years of age!

I plan to process the extra roos at 20 to 26 weeks...does that make sense? Will the fact that they are growing up in the cold weather rather than warm be a factor in when they are "big enough" to eat?

I'll post pics as soon as I can.​

Quote:
I'd be happy to, perhaps Friday I can get some current photos...I was looking at them again today, and maybe they aren't as small as I thought...I have so little experience with chickens in general and the slower-maturing heritage breeds in particular. But I do have experience with Newfoundland dogs, and talk about slow maturing...!Some aren't truly mature until five years of age!

I plan to process the extra roos at 20 to 26 weeks...does that make sense? Will the fact that they are growing up in the cold weather rather than warm be a factor in when they are "big enough" to eat?

I'll post pics as soon as I can.

clap.gif
Yay! Thank you!

Can I ask a favor? If your taking pics, could you take one of good toes? Unfortunately of my 4 SG Dorkings, the cockerel and one pullet are missing them entirely, another pullet looks totally weird and the other looks better but I don't think they are exactly right either.

I'm hoping to replace the boy with a nice roo once the girls are old enough to lay. They have great size which I'm very happy about.

i have pics of my dorkings toes.
gig.gif

the boy
71127_2roo3.jpg

both girls are like this
71127_p2-5.jpg

they both point up on the pullets i thought this was a deformity & the feedback ive had says its quite common for females...

I recently adopted these two Silver Dorkings a few months ago. They are really timid, but with time they are really learning to trust me. I recently got to touch them both and pick them up. They are very HEAVY and STOUTY! I named them Augustus and Constantine. These photos were taken around September or October of this year I think. I have done a lot of upgrades to the coop as well since. Will share more photos at a later time.

today%20001.jpg

dorkings%20047.jpg

dorkings%20049.jpg

dorkings%20052.jpg

dorkings%20057.jpg

dorkings%20060.jpg

dorkings%20062.jpg

today%20006.jpg

today%20014.jpg

Back
Top Bottom